Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why oh why is the UK behind on the whole hair extensions thing!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why oh why is the UK behind on the whole hair extensions thing!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
divinediva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divinediva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why oh why is the UK behind on the whole hair extensions thing!!!
    Posted: February 14 2005 at 9:04am
I'm so wishing I was living in America....I'm not sure about any of the other Brits out there but I find trying to buy hair extension supplies in the UK is like pulling teeth. I have searched and searched London and the net but there are very few good places if any to buy supplies.....shipping prices from abroad are way too expensive....help!!!!!!
It doesn't have to be natural to be fabulous!!!/
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2005 at 10:13am
I always thought hair extensions were ahead of americans on that side of the pond.
Naomi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2005 at 10:41am
I too am from the uk, and its true about the lack of suppliers......and also the lack of variety of methods. I know you can learn about it on this fab site amongst others, but a basic course here, which taught one method was nearly £1000!!!! Eeek! That is a lot of money. I have seen a course advertised, thats run somewhere in LA and it teaches several different methods over two days.

Thing is I could pick up and perfect ( my dolly head and willing friends/family) different methods, but I do feel the certificate you get from a course is reassuring to potential clients. I have a hairdressing certificate and insurance, but would really like an extension one too, but not at that price......
AfroPuffs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AfroPuffs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2005 at 11:24am
Why don't one of you ladies become a supplier and instructor? There's obviously a need. I wish I was in the UK.... I definitely open up a business. cha-ching!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divinediva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2005 at 12:06pm
i'm sooo glad u agree Naiomi...it is truly shocking....there's not really a lack of places to go have your hair done...infact there are a ton of em it's more that there is a total lack of places to buy supplies...ie shrinkies, microrings, wig clips etc etc all of these methods are virtually unheard of over here. I would love to have my own salon and wholesale thing going in the future but till then i suppose i'll have to continue paying obscene shipping costs....aw well such as life!!
Naomi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2005 at 12:22pm
ShockinPinkPetals,

What do you think of shrinkies? I am on the verge of ordering some supplies, as I really want to try them. Or microlinks. Can't decide.

I am drawn towards shrinkies, but think you must still get a bit of glue residue when you 'melt' them off the hair.

Also can you feel them at night?

Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2005 at 2:40pm
I was under the impression that extensions were WAY more advanced over there than over here...hmmm.
I just got an amazing catalog from American Dream and they apparently have a 'superstore' in London. The address is: 5-6 Acton Vale, Cowley Road, London W3 7QE. Phone: 020 8743 0206.
Open M-Sat 9:30 am - 6 pm. They say it's over 2500 sq ft of wall to wall hair pieces, wigs, accessories, styling products - over 60,000 products on display (I'm copying the ad).
If their catalog is any indication, it should be hair extension heaven! They have an AMAZING selection of hair, both human and synthetic. Their classes are very pricey, tho...I think you can learn a lot of those techniques yourself right here through the links on this board.
Good luck, Brits!
Amanda8beech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2005 at 2:45pm
I'm sure there have been bad reports about their hair on this board though x
Scotchyroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchyroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2005 at 4:24pm
Hi, just to give you some props. The people at Antenna on Kensington Church street are doing amazing, groundbreaking work. Of course it's not cheap... but it is cutting edge, really.
I keep reading about places in Camden that give good value for money. Maybe you could check it out. Love and Happiness, christina
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2005 at 4:54pm
There's also Pak Hairworld in London; I believe it's near the Finsbury park tube station.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2005 at 6:40pm
I get the impression that the U.K. is further ahead with synth, and the U.S. is with human. (This is just my theory, though). :)
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2005 at 7:57pm
Have you ever read some of the posts on Quinns board. How some of the UK people get treated for their alternative hair? Its horrible some of the posts Ive read. I always thought they were ahead of us with the synthetic extensions too. All the first posts from a few years ago on Quinns board were mostly UK members, so it just shocked me to hear how some more 'mainstream' people can treat people with more 'alternative' looks. It really isnt that bad here is it? I mean sometimes I see someone with a wild do....and some people may comment, but its rare that Ive ever heard of people getting abused/battered here for their looks.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2005 at 8:06pm
Abused and battered? Yikes! That's just awful.

In the U.S., I would think it depends a lot on where you live. In NYC, for example, (and most of the major cities, I imagine), you could have a green arm growing out of your head and you'd still sort of fade into the wallpaper. But in some other places, I don't know....

I've gotten some rather odd reactions myself, and it's not like my hair is blue or dreaded or anything. But for some people (and I've never been able to understand this way of thinking), it's just too ostentacious or showy or whatever to have superlong extensions. Mostly these reactions are from women, not men. At the same time, I've gotten a lot of good feedback from women I don't even know. So it's a crapshoot...usually based on their "issues" and such.

:)
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2005 at 8:14pm
Well I live in smalltown USA. It doesnt get much smaller than this. Sometimes when someone who 'looks different' first comes around, theres the local pssst psssst, whispering, stupid jokes, but generally once people get used to it they are ok with it. I think really wild styles( 2 foot tall rainbow spiked mowhawk) and dreads are a little more hard to 'get used to' but blue hair, green hair, multi streaks and piercings are generally accepted pretty well around here.

Smalltown Ohio....population less than 1700!
clairey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clairey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2005 at 5:04am
If you think the Uk is bad you should try living in Ireland!! I only know of one place who does training in extensions and they use great lengths!!
There are a few shops that sell hair, but it is all crappy hair!!
Im going to be ordering bohyme from now on from england because I couldnt find any decent hair over here its sooooo annoying!!
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2005 at 8:38am
its the same, when I lived in seattle I had short spiky blue hair, and no one batted an eye at it, save for the little old ladies (bless their hearts) who would come up and say what a cute little blueberry I was

Here now in another smalltown usa, I throw in a few colored streaks every now and then, and people look at me like I have a third eye.

... then sometimes I'll throw on some dreaded falls and mess with em

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divinediva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2005 at 1:14pm
Thanx Syren123 that's a great help. I have been to Pak Hairworld but find it expensive and the choice is quite limited....I think i'll pay a visit to American Dream-sounds kewl. Yeah there are a few places in London doing extensions but im more interested in doing them on people rather than having them done.....thanx 4 all the fedback guys. x

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divinediva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2005 at 1:16pm
naomi....to be honest i aint tried using shrinkies but have heard alot of good things about them. Im a fan of microrings....they're really easy to install even on your own head. x
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic