Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

why are my armpits dark?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cassie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: why are my armpits dark?
    Posted: March 18 2003 at 9:17pm
I don't understand why. I didn't do anything to them. When I shave, the darkness gets a little lighter but never the less it still looks like I have a shadow. What should I do?
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2003 at 7:23pm
This is usually due to the aluminium contents in anti-perspirants.
When used over a long period of time, they dry out and damage the slin. Your skin reacts by increasing its thickness and in order to protect itself from the abuse. This means that the heavy metals that were absorbed by the epidermis visibly darken the skin and are difficult to remove with exfoliates.

I suggest you stop using synthetic chemicals and metals under your arms.
Try using a few drops of essential oil instead. Try bergamot, lemon or patchouli (my fave).
It will take your skin about 3 months to recover.
Uzi

turquoise_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2003 at 8:02pm
uzma, where do you find all this awesome info about chemicals and synthetics?
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 4:40am
Hi Turquoise Girl

Insider information !!!!!

I work in the pharmaceutical industry with medics, chemists and scientists.
I am working in Reasearch and Development and get to talk about stuff like this with informed and highly educated minds.

Also have access to heaps of clinical research, including the stuff that doesn't get published in the scientific journals.
Uzi

Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 7:38am
Cool Uzma: do you use the essential oils straight?? or in a blend? If a blend, whats your formula? I'd also read, that sandlewood was good...Whats your take?

I'm trying to get off of the anti-persperant chemicals as we speak....What is your opinion on the Avelon and Kiss My Face deodorants?? And oh yeah the natural salts too??

Cheers.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 8:21am
Hi Sophie

Some oils are more deodorising than others. Patchouli is particularly astringent, but is also has a strong oriental fragrance that some people don't like - i love it and it works well.
Sandalwood is my favorite oil for hair. I tried it as a deodoriser but it didn't work well.

I use about 3 drops of un-diluted oil, rubbed into my palms and then applied to underarms.
A note of caution: I have been doing this for over a year with no problems, but some people have sensitive skin and may not know it. Please dilute the oils in a light oil (e.g grapeseed) first. Try to see how your skin tolerates the EO diluted and then gradually, in stronger concentrations.

I have not used any of the products you mention, Sophie, but am going to try fresh lemon juice this summer which has both anti-perspirant and deodorising effects. It is a photo-sensitising substance (like begamot and lemon EOs), but my armpits dont see any sunlight so that should be OK.

Good luck.
Uzi

cassie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 10:20am
Where do I get these special kinds of oil? And how come I'm the only one who has darkened pits and not many other people do and I know we use the same deoderants?
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 11:10am
Lots of people have darkened armpits, but it depends on how chemical/metal tolerant the individual's skin-type is.
You can get the oils from health food shops, chemists or the internet.
I don't think we are allowed to advertise, so I advise you to do an internet search for "essential oils" and see what sites come up that will ship to where you are.
Uzi

Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 1:57pm
Great info Uzma!! Thank you.
turquoise_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 2:14pm
Yes, thanks!
jazzgurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzgurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2003 at 6:23am
try this: http://www.i-godiva.com/products.php?cat=1&page=2

got to know this product from a girl that i work with before. very cheap (2.80$), noticed visible results in a matter of 3 weeks. it's unscented so it does't interfere with the smell of my favorite perfume. and since i live in a place where it's always like 100ºF, it really works as anti-perspirant too.
"We have both lost ourselves, but sometimes we reveal the most when we are least like ourselves."
-Anais Nin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic