Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

milia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
whitney_brett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitney_brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: milia
    Posted: September 12 2003 at 11:51pm
does anyone know any treatments for milia? my dermatologist gave me Tazorac but it's so horribly drying on my eyelids that i can't use it more than once a week, so it never really goes away. Any suggestions?
"Honey, I've always said if your genitals are on the outside, you're hiding something on the inside!" ~ Karen Walker ...~*Whitney*~...
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2003 at 6:13am
Hi Whitney

What are you cleansing and moisturizing with?
What is your normal skin care routine?
Why do you need to put it on your eyelids?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitney_brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2003 at 5:53pm
I cleanse with a Neutrogena product, don't use moisturizer around my eyes, and use Lancome eyemakeup remover to remove eye makeup. I forget the name, but it's the purple bottle, the one that has oil in it. I know that's part of the problem, but if I use an eye makeup remover without the oil my eyelids peel. It's a vicious cycle!! I did try those Clean and Clear cloth things that you run under water and they foam up---that removed my eye makeup well. Think that would make an improvement? I've had milia for like 7 years...it never seems to go away.
"Honey, I've always said if your genitals are on the outside, you're hiding something on the inside!" ~ Karen Walker ...~*Whitney*~...
meliss551 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meliss551 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2003 at 8:24pm
I read on another forum that the best product to get rid of milia is MD Forte. Their products are somewhat expensive so check ebay first.
TSGKGF View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSGKGF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2003 at 11:47am
I have the same problem and my dermatologist told me to get Reversa eye contour cream. It did the trick and you can get it at the drugstore, no perscription. Good luck.

btw, it is pretty slow acting, takes a few months for them all to go away, but it definitely works

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitney_brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2003 at 5:21pm
What drugstore did you get this Reversa eye cream at?
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2003 at 6:50pm
Hi Guy's....I was doing some research and came across this....

Heavy Skin Care Products

No doubt the most common reason milia form is from smothering your skin with heavy skin care products or hair care items. Comedogenic creams and lotions may prevent the sloughing of dead epidermal skin cells. Hidden problem products include make-up removers not labeled oil-free or non-comedogenic, hair spray, hair mousse and gel, heavy sunscreens and some moisturizers. The eyelids are very thin and more likely to experience problems with milia due to cosmetics. Re-evaluate your eye make-up and eyelid make-up remover if you are finding this to be a concern.

Certain lipsticks, lip balms and products meant to help with chapped lips may be the cause of little white pearly milia developing around the lipstick edge (aka vermillion border) of the lips. Again, if you see these forming, take a good look at the ingredients on the label.

Prolonged History Of Sun Damage

The formation of milia can also be due to cumulative sun exposure. Aging skin forms a thicker epidermis that may make it far more difficult for skin cells to find their way out of the glands. And thicker skin also makes for more road blocks in the pathway to exfoliation.

What’s a Girl (Or Guy) Gonna Do?

Exfoliation can go a long way in helping deal with milia prone skin. By keeping the epidermis thin and smooth, you can cut down on their formation. By mentioning exfoliation, I’m not talking about scrubbing off the top layer of your skin! One way is to use a gentle exfoliating scrub such as Peter Thomas Roth Silica Strawberry Scrub, California North Gelskin Scrub or Peter Thomas Roth AHA/BHA Face & Body Polish. Home microdermabrasion with DermaNew Microdermabrasion Total Body Experience can be highly effective in smoothing out problem skin. Another is to undergo a periodic series of microdermabrasions or glycolic acid peels at the doctor’s office. Maintenance is important. Unless you find your solution is throwing out some problem causing cream, you likely are in a situation where you will periodically continue to form new spots. So add in some gentle exfoliation into your grooming regimen.

Sometimes milia won’t come out in spite of your best efforts. Then you may need the milia to be extracted by your dermatologist. In a physician’s office, milia are easily removed. The skin is cleansed with some rubbing alcohol or other antiseptic. The skin overlying the milia is gently opened with a sterile lancet or needle. Then pressure is applied with a comedone extractor, and the milia typically pop out. I find that one of the most difficult areas from which to remove milia is the upper eyelid. There simply isn’t a good way to press on the area and avoid the eyeball, so the lid has to be pulled either upwards or to the side, which is somewhat challenging.

I am always asked if a patient can remove milia by themselves at home. While removing milia is certainly not a technique that one must attend medical school to be able to do, it is rather difficult to remove your own milia. This is both from the mild self-inflicted discomfort as well as my concern that infection can arise if the procedure isn’t performed properly. This means adequate skin cleansing as well as the use of sterile instruments. If you are going to give it a try, sterilize your needle and then after wiping the skin with rubbing alcohol, poke the milia and then press it out with the Tweezerman Comedone Extractor. Cleanse the area gently and if there is any bleeding, apply some hydrogen peroxide and a bandaid. Milia on the eyelids should be dealt with by your doctor.

What can you do to prevent milia? Besides keeping your lifelong sun exposure limited, wearing oil-free sunscreen such as Peter Thomas Roth Ultra Lite Oil-Free Sunblock SPF 30, using glycolic acid can help remove unwanted surface debris and cleanse the pores. M.D. Forte Facial Cleanser II and M.D. Forte Facial Lotion I can do this and also complement a skin rejuvenation program.

Vitamin A creams also work effectively to exfoliate the skin, thin the epidermis and again fit nicely into a skin rejuvenation program. Afirm used every other night is a retinol based vitamin A cream. If you are using prescription Retin A, Renova, Differin, Avita or Tazorac for acne concerns or wrinkles, these can also be helpful in reducing your milia formation. Keep in mind that none of these vitamin A options should be applied to the eyelids.

So if milia are the bane of your existence, don´t worry. There´s hope.

Thank you for taking the time to read my newsletter. As always, I hope you have found it informative.

Audrey Kunin, M.D.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitney_brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2003 at 8:10pm
thanks, Sophia!! Mine is no doubt due to the sun exposure and my makeup remover---which contains oil. Thanks for the great info!
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2003 at 9:00pm
Cheers..Doll. I 'm going to come back and post a personal recipe or 2 for you, for some cleansers.....Be back.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic