Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

need a lesson on facial skin care!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gangstagurl604 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gangstagurl604 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need a lesson on facial skin care!!!!
    Posted: January 04 2004 at 9:45am
Hi all, I new to this so you might hink I'm weird. I'm 15 years old and my facial skin is pretty much good but I want to improve it. All I use is cleanser and a mosturizer. My mother uses all kinds of herbal stuff on her face so she doesn't know much about store products. What are toners, exfloiators and stuff like that?? How do face masks work?? What r some good products to use??
Twanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2004 at 9:24am
It is good you want to take care of your skin now. The most important product you could and should use now and forever is a good sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15. Use daily.

Twanda
Twanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2004 at 9:34am
I will try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge:

What are toners, exfloiators and stuff like that?? How do face masks work?? What r some good products to use??

Toners or astringents: Liquids that are applied with a cotton ball or square. To remove traces of makeup left behind at the hairline. NEVER NEVER use one with alcohol even if your skin is oily.

Face Masks: Clay masks are for oily skin to help control the oil and potential blemishes; moisturizing masks are for dry skin.

Exfoliators: Mechanical scrubs are those that have synthetic or natural granules in them to manually exfoliate the skin.

Chemical exfoliators are those that exfiliate the skin using chemicals; RetinA, alpha hydroxy, beta hydroxy and salycic acid.

I like Paula's Choice (www.cosmeticscop.com) products. Paula Begoun (Paula's Choice) also has several books out detailing which cosmetics are best for skin type and why. Check out here books and see if it helps.

Twanda

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gangstagurl604 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2004 at 11:23am
Thank you soooo much. i generally knew what they weere but some people use them excessivelly and end up burning their skin. so i just wanted to know which one does what.

i have some of those blackhead stuff, how can i get rid of those?? R products made by Artistry good?
Twanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2004 at 12:33pm
You're welcome. I don't know about Artistry products, but I'm sure they're listed in Paula's book. As far as black heads go, I'm not really an expert on that either. Perhaps an alpha hydroxy (Alpha Hydrox brand at drug stores is a safe bet) or beta hydroxy product (both are chemical exfoliants) could help the skin exfoliate and get rid of them.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will respond to your post.

Twanda

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gangstagurl604 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2004 at 1:50pm
1) what are general products i shud have and how often should i apply them? eg. mosturizers, exfoliators etc.

2) what are some good medium priced brands that i can get from a drugstore?

3) what's the deal with breaking vitamin e capsules and applying them directly to to the skin??
sorry if im asking 2many questions.thanx

Twanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2004 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by gangstagurl604 gangstagurl604 wrote:

1) what are general products i shud have and how often should i apply them? eg. mosturizers, exfoliators etc.

2) what are some good medium priced brands that i can get from a drugstore?

3) what's the deal with breaking vitamin e capsules and applying them directly to to the skin??
sorry if im asking 2many questions.thanx

You're not asking too many questions, I love talking about make up and cleansers & moisturizers.

1. Easy rinse off cleanser (NOT bar soap) to remove make up or daily grime. I've had very good luck with Paula's Choice as I've mentioned a few times before and her products are very competitively priced even when comparing to the drugstore brands but I don't exclusively user her products. Cetaphil and Neutrogena are both good drugstore cleansers to try. Most recommendations are to cleanse the face morning and night. I only wash my face at night to remove make up, so it's what feels right for you.

2. Sunscreen SPF 15 - The only recommendations I have are for dry skin and they are Clinique City Block SPF 15, Oil of Olay SPF15, Sonya Kushuk tinted moisturizer SPF 15. This is probably the most important thing you can do for your skin so if your skin is oily and not dry find one that is right for your skin.

3. Optional - Non alcohol toner if you think you need it to remove make up at the hairline, around nose, etc. I think Neutrogena again has a good alcohol free one, and of course Paula's Choice.

4. Optional - Eye make up remover if your cleanser doesn't adequately remove eye make up. Clinique has a good one, it's blue.

5. Optional - Moisturizer if needed, only in dry areas. If your skin doesn't feel dry, moisturizer is not necessary. My skin is dry and I like Clinique Moisture on Line, Avon Hydrofirming Night Cream, and Sonya Kushuk moisturizer.

6. Alpha hydroxy or beta hydroxy to exfoliate the skin.

7. Benzoil Peroxide used with number 6 above to eliminate acne bumps.

As far as breaking Vitamin E capsules and putting them on the skin; I've heard that Vitamin E is good for the skin and could possibly help reduce scars too. Probably wouldn't hurt to take Vitamin E too, but I don't really like taking vitamins - they're a little hard to swallow.

I'm glad you're trying to get a good facial routine started now. Try to be gentle with your skin. No alcohol is needed regardless of skin type. When I was your age, I used products that were too strong for my skin (alcohol based toners and harsh cleansers) to eliminate what I thought was an oily T-zone (think Clinique) but were unnecessary and I think is why my skin is so dry now.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Or check out Paula's internet site, you will find answers to many of your questions there. She's my guru and you will find much of what I've said comes from her. I'll answer as best as I can. But don't just take my advice, there are some good books about cosmetics and their ingredients available at the library and bookstores.

Twanda
Jenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2004 at 2:12pm
I really like the Paula's Choice line. I used to get a a few zits every month, and now I pretty much never do. The only time I have to be worry about it now is that time of the month, because of the hormone changes. For my moisturizer I really like Aveeno's skin clearing moisturizer. It's pricey for a drugstore brand, but my skin has never looked better. If you want to try a good, cheap mask, try Queen Helene's Mint Julepe mask. It gets lot of raves.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gangstagurl604 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2004 at 8:52pm
oh ma God. thank u soo much. my computer crashed and i read your reply at school during computer class and i printed it out with my other stuff. i tried to reply on another computer at my house and the mouse just wouldn't work..
jenna, thanx 4 ur advice. i always pass by aveeno's stuff mainly cause my mom picks all the stuff and it ends up bein entirely herbal. jenna by any chance, r u asian.....im indian and i meet just about a ton of pple who look like you....
um, i tried an entire facial thing and here's how it went-i washed my entire face with a normal cleaser,i used an exfoliator, and a toner which didn't seem to help me, and some mosturizer. for that night i popped a vitamin e capsule and all this liquidy stuff came out and i wore it like a mask overnite. Washed it off and my skin felt really good.
i think i have a t-zone but not a serious one because my forehead, nose, and chin are a darker complexion that my cheeck, well at least slightly. oh well, my midterms are coming up and its a very stressful time. i gotta start studyin so ill write later!
thanx
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic