Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question about sun exposure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Captain Japonica View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Japonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about sun exposure
    Posted: April 27 2004 at 6:49pm
I have fair skin and recently got a sunburn from a tanning bed(wont ever do that again!), how long will it take the sunburn to heal? I was 7 the last time I burned so I don't know.

Also, does it hurt you much later in life if you tanned/burned once a year or so as a child or teenager, mainly from just playing outside alot?
Avrilon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avrilon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2004 at 8:38am
Hi

I used to spend a lot of time in the sun when I was kid - on the beach in Florida and always in the neighborhood swimming pools. I didn't get into lying out to get a tan, but I was always in the sun - usually getting burnt about once a year.

I'm now 53 and have malignant melanoma in three places. If I hadn't gone to a dermatologist for another reason, it could have killed me! It spreads very fast. Because of early detection, I'm going to be fine, but a lot of people don't notice the little freckles that AREN'T freckles - and it spreads to your lymph nodes, etc.

To answer your question, my dermotologist said that the first 20 years of our lives seem to set the "seeds" for skin cancer - and that burning is the WORST thing for it. And, sun lamps are worse than the sun.

I don't want to freak you out, but it's just so important to know. I never thought in a million years I'd get skin cancer, and now I have it.

Take care,
Avrilon
DeD PreZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeD PreZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2004 at 12:18am
THE SUN IS NOT EVIL!!!!!!!!!i know many many many people that tan all summer then go to tanning booths all winter to stay tan and they never ever ever in a million years have any issues with cancer. just cus this one woman got skin cancer she has to act like you can never be in the sun cus it will instantly kill you with its evil rays of death. that is such bull**** i tan every chance i can get and the only thing that happens is i get a nice healthy glow to my skin.
smoked out
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic