Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

chapped lips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: chapped lips
    Posted: March 03 2005 at 7:32pm
it seems as though i have tried just about everything to cure my eternally chapped lips. i have over 48 different chapsticks, and none of them seem to work in the long run. i have tried scrubbing them with sugar, and using a foot lotion to moisturize them. nothing works. can someone help? is there anything that really works well?
EvanaJoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvanaJoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2005 at 11:20am
I've tried quite a few myself. I currently like the All Natural Chapstick (my Mom recently had a bout of really chapped lips, and it also worked for her). Bath and Body Works has or had a bunch of lip balms that I liked, but I think they may have changed the recipe (they did chance the packaging). Anyway, I liked a peach mango and some sort of berry that they had.

I like Blistex Silk and Shine, but it doesn't last very long on me. I also tried Botanical Earth's Hemp Lip Balm, which had a slightly grainy feel to it. It seemed to work pretty well, but something about the smell/taste didn't agree with me, so I'm using the rest of it on my hands.

Marilyn Monroe used Vaseline on her lips, I've read, but I know some people fuss about petroleum products. Mayonnaise can work for some people in a pinch -- my Dad got dry lips on a trip recently, and got mayo on his sandwich specifically in order to moisten his lips!
Alyssa_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alyssa_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2005 at 4:39pm
Bryan,
is it possible you aren't drinking enough water? My lips get very chapped and dry when I'm under-hydrated, and no amount of lip balm or any other product helps in that case. However, when my lips are chapped due to cold weather, nothing works better than Blistex's Lip Medex.. it comes in a little round blue container, and you can find it wherever other chapstick-type stuff is sold, and sometimes at the checkout counter of grocery stores.
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 7:18am

My lips were the same way till I stopped using chap stick.  The first week it sucked bad, but now I dont even need it.

I swear, its like an addiction

EvanaJoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvanaJoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2005 at 2:44pm
I read about using clarified honey mixed with lavendar water as a balm for chapped lips in an 1850's magazine. Since I don't happen to have lavendar water sitting around, I've used just honey a few times (but not enough to be able to say for sure how well it works).

claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2005 at 3:28am
i liked using vaseline. it very thick and greasy so it really lubiricate and moisturizes the lips.
ARGHH
sugaplum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugaplum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 6:25pm

Bryan, here's what I did when my lips were really, really dry & chapped:

Take a tea bag (any tea bag-but black tea and chamomile are best) and put it under warm running water to saturate it.  Squeeze out the excess water.  Now press it on your lips for a full 2 minutes.  Afterwards apply Burt's Bee's Wax (medicated) or Carmex to your lips.  If your lips are too sensitive, apply a lip conditioner.  The purpose of using the balm afterwards, is becuase the pores on lips are open so they need to be sealed.

I hope this info helps.  This regimine helped me out a lot in the winter time.

Edited by sugaplum
100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures
Bryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2005 at 12:24am
ok ive tried it all. i tried honey, i tried sugaplum's tea bags  (all that did was leave me craving iced T.........) i give up. im done. nothing is ever going to cure my chapped lips. it just wont work.
learn to love what you were born with
you can do anything if you set your mindto it (just dont try this with hair,that could turn out bad)
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2005 at 7:33am
I just have to keep something on mine ALL the time.  I do drink a half gallon of water a day and that helps.  I don't like carmex, it makes my lips peel (though the phenol in it is great for killing viruses if you are prone to cold sores).  I just use chapstick all day and keep it on at all times.  I sleep with it on, and replace it after every meal. 

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic