Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bra straps underneath spaghetti straps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bra straps underneath spaghetti straps
    Posted: June 09 2003 at 1:46pm
If there is one fashion faux pas that drives me berserk, it's seeing a bra strap underneath a spaghetti strap top. The bra is almost always thicker than the spaghetti strap.

Why, oh WHY do people do this? It looks *stupid*. There is such a thing as a strapless bra, which is what should be worn instead.

If you really want your bra to be seen, why not just wear the bra and leave off the top?!

I'm no prude, but it looks completely tasteless to allow your underwear to be seen on the outside. I'd rather go without a bra than to purposely allow my brastraps to be seen.
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 2:04pm
I agree! But I know it doesn't bother some people. Our mothers must have taught us this. My mother would die if she saw me going out of the house with any kind of bra strap or panty line showing.

It is challenging to find a strapless that stays comfortable and doesn't fall down. I recommend Wonderbra's strapless. It isn't perfect, but it's the best I've found. The elastic has a rubber covering on it, so it kind of hugs your skin. I can wear it all day and it usually only starts to bother me in the evening. Better than the previous 2 strapless I owned!

Of course, the problem with wearing a strapless then becomes that they sit higher than other bras, so then you can get some showing in the armpit area of the dress. D'oh! But I think this is far less noticeable. I suppose the perfect solution is to wear a bustier, but those look so uncomfortable.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 2:41pm
Oh I can think of something worse: wearing a dress that's strapless and a bra that isn't!

But seriously, when I wear spaghetti straps I always sew bust cups in. They're cheap and more flattering than a lot of the conical (and comical!) Marilyn Monroe-type bras out there. I did this with the sparkly dress I'm wearing in the photo posted earlier under "my favorite outfit." Works like a charm!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Jennifer Jennifer wrote:

If there is one fashion faux pas that drives me berserk, it's seeing a bra strap underneath a spaghetti strap top. The bra is almost always thicker than the spaghetti strap.

Why, oh WHY do people do this? It looks *stupid*. There is such a thing as a strapless bra, which is what should be worn instead.

If you really want your bra to be seen, why not just wear the bra and leave off the top?!

I'm no prude, but it looks completely tasteless to allow your underwear to be seen on the outside. I'd rather go without a bra than to purposely allow my brastraps to be seen.

i so agree! this is the girl in high school pin her bra straps to her top so they wouldn't show. now females show there bras on purpose! honestly if the straps show i go without a bra if you can't tell. that's also tacky when you can tell you are braless.
beachgerl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachgerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 3:16pm
For some reason that's the "in" thing by most people today. I've seen countless folks doing that, bra straps with sphagetti straps. I'd never do that, too irritating. I just use a strapless bra underneath the skinny tops unless the back is showing, then I'm out (still looking for the right bra for that kind of top - rubbers probably?). I think people don't care about elegance of fashion today.
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 4:17pm
A lot of Tanks have the bra right in, Although I won't wear molded cups or padded cups...

papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 4:36pm
yeah.. I don't get the idea of showing your underwear, it makes no sense.

Definitely wear a strapless bra or a bandeau under those tiny-strappy tanks! Altho those built in bras on some tanks are a good idea, they're usually sport-bra types that squish and are uncomfortable.

Another issue on the same line.. people who wear tube tops without anything underneath.. ugh..
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 10:12pm
And even worse, the "clear" bra straps. Come on, like we don't see those things. Or even more bad, low rider jeans with thier thong showing at the top, or just regular undies showing period in the back. I see this on teens all the time.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2003 at 10:52pm
We all seem to agree on this topic.
It just looks stupid. The whole idea with that sort of dress is to look classy, sophisticated, elegent.
The bra straps showing sort of defeat the whole purpose! It just looks silly.
tina
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2003 at 8:28am
I think those new bras with the clear plastic straps look cheap and silly. Why not wear a strapless?

By the way, my strapless (D cup) just won't stay up, even with the rubbery things inside it keeps slipping. Maybe I'm not wearing it tight enough? Any advice?

Elissa
[/url]

SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2003 at 11:39am
Yeah it took me a few strapless bras to find one that would stay up. It's a Wonderbra strapless.

Yeah, I definitely have to wear it on the tightest notch. Even then, it still falls down some. But it'll stay up most of the day. :) Have to stop in a bathroom in the late afternoon for an adjustment.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2003 at 5:07pm
It does take time to shop around for a good strapless bra.. I think I might have gone to three stores before I found one that works well for me, but now I wear it all the time when I'm wearing my tiny-strap tanks..
Lovebug3302004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lovebug3302004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2004 at 4:32pm
Argh! I have such a hard time with this.. I wear the spaghetti straps EVERY day in the summer, love the way they make my tan, and they are the "coolest" (as in not hot, not fashion wise.) shirts I have. But the stupid bra thing! I ususally when I am around the house just wear a normal bra underneath, but if I wear them out in public I use my "strap-less bra" which is really just an old normal bra with the straps cut off..

When you say they have the bra built in.. those things are good for nothing!!! I think it looks tacky, and so I always wear SOMETHING underneath.. I need a good nice strap-less bra that isn't too $$, because this one is getting old, and doesn't work with my cute spaghetti strap dress.. but I'm not very big (B cup) and when we went shopping we couldn't find any that weren't underwired (uncomfortable!!) and weren't really expensive.. :( *sigh*
My hair is: 3a, Fine, ii hair, currently 23" long.
Goal: Waist, or about 34".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic