Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Online shopping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Online shopping
    Posted: June 26 2003 at 7:49am
Do you? It can be a risk, that's for sure. When you can't try something on, there's no guarantee it's going to fit. Me, I find something I like in the store then try to get it on eBay. I have bought so many pairs of shoes that way, including Docs, for less than $20.

I recently ordered a wool suit from jcrew.com (I know, call me a prep but I like their stuff, overpriced as it is) and it fits like it was made for me. They are the only ones that carry size 4 tall suit jackets, so I splurged. I have jury duty this week so I can look lawyerly in court now :-)

What are your fav online vendors? What was the best purchase you made online? The worst?
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2003 at 10:06am
I am an online shopping fanatic. And I always search for online discount coupons/codes before I shop, because all of the major stores have them. With an order of $50 or more, most places give you free shipping, and you save the sales tax.

I frequently shop online with my favorites: Old Navy, Spiegel, OneHanesPlace (the best source for Bali bras and all brands of pantyhose), Newport News, Eddie Bauer, Amazon , Barnes and Noble, and Avon Online (comes in two days, so much better than using rep. If you put in your rep's phone #, she gets the credit!).

I also shop less frequently with lush.com (best natural soaps and creams ever!), Red Envelope, Overstock.com, Victoria's Secret, 123Inkjets.com (great prices on printer cartridges) and 1800flowers.com.

And of course, my favorite, ebay!

Sometimes I have to send clothes back, but usually they fit. I am a pretty standard size 10 petite now.

When I was heavy I shopped exclusively online and from catalogs, because I hated to go into store dressing rooms. But now I love shopping in stores. That doesn't mean I don't shop online, though!

Elissa
[/url]

princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2003 at 2:07pm
i'm cheap LOL! i do shop online if i can't find something i'm looking for. i hate paying for shipping and handling! i was looking for joico products online i found them for 7.99 in the store it was 12.00. i figured by the time i paid shipping and handling it would be around the same. shoping online i think is great for people who don't have time to shop. or can't find what they are looking for in stores.
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2003 at 8:07am
I just ordered a cute nightie for $12.99 from Crossing Pointe. They are having a no-shipping charges promotion right now. I picked what I wanted from the paper catalog then ordered online.

For those of you who are interested in online shopping, do a google on "online discount coupons" before you shop. You will get a huge list of sites that will give you extra savings from many popular merchants, very often no-shipping charges.

Elissa
[/url]

papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2003 at 5:10pm
JCrew is my favorite, I only shop for clothing online with them, since they fit me really well. Once in a while I'll get something from Eddie Bauer online. But otherwise, I go to the stores..
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2003 at 6:24pm
I've been shopping online for years! I love it, especially since I moved out of the city and into the boonies. Now I am in a "town" but online shopping still fills the void. I use them all, especially around Christmas. The only thing I haven't bought is large pieces of furniture. Somehow, I just can't see paying those shipping charges. My favorite online store is Amazon.com.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2003 at 8:03pm
Hey! I do that too, Lyris... see something in a store that I like and then try to buy it on eBay. I feel a little bit guilty, cuz usually these items are on the expensive side, and I try them on in the shop, and then buy that size cheaper online. Which is not fair to the poor shoe salesman whose time I have wasted.

But the savings is so substantial that I forgive myself. I bought a $120 pair of Danskos last fall for $52 on eBay. Brand new! In that case, I already owned a pair of Danskos, so I knew size 41 was for me.

Right now I am trying to find a good pair of cheap Birks in my size. I just missed sniping a pair of gently worn ones. Rats.

I don't buy clothes online, though I do shop... I just never buy.
Like you said, it's hard to judge size, unless you've bought that brand before or unless the seller gives the measurements. And browsing through individual garments on eBay could take you all day!
I love to look at Anthropologie clothes on eBay whenever my Anthropologie catalogue arrives in the mail for me to drool over and then choke on the prices. There are loads of great Anthropologie clothes on eBay, but they are almost ALWAYS size small! What is up with that??
But it doesn't surprise me too much. Usually the last size left on a store rack is small. Why don't they learn and make more mediums and larges and less smalls??

Hmmm. I wonder if they sell Banana Republic on eBay. I love that store, but it's way too expensive for me to actually buy.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Moonshadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonshadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2003 at 10:05am
I have 2 small kids, and online shopping has been a lifesaver at times- especially when they were newborns. Even now, sometimes the thought of dragging a 2-year old and a 4-year old through the stores makes me want to crawl back into bed for the day! I've bought clothes for myself, but most of what I get is for the kids. Their sizes are alot more forgiving than ours, and I usually buy the clothes big so they fit them for more than a few months. Old Navy and Land's End have really cute kid's stuff. I also buy LOTS of toys from Amazon at Christmas when they have free shipping on toys- I have 10 nieces and nephews to shop for in addition to my own kids.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2003 at 12:53am
Generally, I like online shopping, but recently, the shipping and handling charges are ridiculous!! I recently ordered a $40 dress and by the time the extra charges were added, it was $53. That's crazy.

Thus, I am rebelling. If the shipping and handling charges are reasonable, no problem. But if they're outrageous, I skip it. (I needed the above dress in a hurry for a specific event -- I wear a size 10 tall, which for some reason, sells out fast).

One thing to keep in mind is that if you use a credit card (as opposed to debit card), you can always dispute the charges if you think that the merchant has added extra charges or is somehow dishonest.

Awhile back, I ordered something from overseas. No problem with the order at all. Then, almost exactly a year later, I was charged the exact same amount on my credit card bill! Obviously I disputed it, and the company could not prove that I bought anything, so the charge was dismissed.

Always keep on top of things....
Charlie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2003 at 3:49am
I buy all my Phyto from the online store here at HairBoutique.com. They charge zero shipping on any Phyto whether you buy one bottle of shampoo or multiples. They often have specials. Last month I got a sample kit when I bought a Phyto hairspray. I heard through the grapevine that they are getting ready to have a Phytodefrisant special. They also don't charge shipping on L. Erickson headbands, France Luxe hair accessories or Mine or MiN products. I used to buy Phyto at Niemans. By the time I drove in traffic, paid parking, paid sales tax and drove home, I spent a lot more than buying it from HB.com and getting free shipping. Can't beat that.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic