Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What's your favorite mall store?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's your favorite mall store?
    Posted: July 03 2003 at 1:05am
I need to stay away from the mall. I don't have money to be spending on clothes!

But somehow, I always end up there... and someone's always having a clearance sale!

As much as I hate it's consumer-evils, I secretly love the mall. Everything is so perfect at the mall... who can have any worries at the mall? I somehow even always forget I'm broke. Unfortunately for my credit card debt.

Ahem! Anyway, so what are your favorite mall shops? We all know you've seen one American mall, you've seen 'em all. So this should be easy.

Mine are:
Express (Half of my career clothes are from there!)
B. Moss (I don't live near one anymore though. Pout.)
H & M (I JUST discovered them! I'm hooked!)

How about you?
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2003 at 5:53am
TJ MAXX!
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2003 at 9:07am
Accessorize and Oasis........clothing and acccompaniments that are the stuff of dreams...
Uzi

schizophonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schizophonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2003 at 11:56am
Oooh, the mall

I'd have to say Gap and Banana Republic....most of their clothes match just about anything basic (makes it easy to update the wardrobe, whether I should buy more clothes or not! LOL)
Nice quality stuff...I like those stretchy cotton fabrics!

Aside from clothing stores, I love going into Bath & Body works and sniffing all the lotions ...mmm, good stuff...
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2003 at 12:38pm
Express (one of the few stores that sells clothes that I can wear and it looks good one me)
Ann Taylor LOFT (I go for the petite section)
JCrew (when I can find one near me, otherwise, it's online)
Gap, Old Navy (sometimes)
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2003 at 1:26pm
I hate admitting a yen for preppy, over-priced pieces of cotton and wool, but I too love J Crew. Their web site is great, especially when it comes to seasonal clearances. I recently bought a kick-A suit online and it fits well (they carry tall jackets and no one else seems to.) Unfortunately one week after I got it in the mail the darn thing went on sale for $91 less. I called their customer service department and they granted me a price adjustment with no hassle. In my world $91 goes a LONG way :-)

I've heard of most of the above stores but Uzma what is Oasis? I would assume it's a UK place and it sounds intriguing! Let me ask, is there still a store in London called Lilywhites? I remember going into one in '95...don't remember anything else about it though. How memory fails me!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
3katz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3katz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2003 at 3:43pm
Victoria's Secret(ooh la la)

B. Moss,Gap, Ann Taylor, J. Crew, stores like this for the rest because I have to look teacherish at work, and it's always a good idea to be *properly dressed* off-duty 'cause I'm always running into parents, students, and the lecherous principal (blech). Out of town is another thing.

Does the food court count, hee, hee?

Grover, since you live in NYC do you ever shop in the places I only dream about here in the Indiana sticks? What about you, Uzma?

Jean
3katz
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2003 at 3:52pm
I love Old Navy (my t-shirts and jeans) and Ann Taylor Loft for my finer clothes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2003 at 9:50pm
LOL, Jean! More like window shop and drool in the fancy shops. I work at a non-for-profit, so my salary is super low.

There are some good consignment stores though. Hoity-toity ladies seem to discard lots of great stuff!

I don't spend too much time looking in shops here, because I have too much debt already. We do have 2 Anthropologie shops here though. I never even knew they were a catalog outfit!

The funny thing is that I miss B. Moss, which I used to live near when I lived in Indiana. I went to Purdue, and I used to shop at Tippecanoe Mall. And Tyler Too Plaza across the street. LOL!
I recall reading that you live in South Bend? That's OK. *smirk*

There's a chain here called H&M that is just amazing. Old Navy prices (maybe even cheaper) and the clothes are stylish and fit great! I'm in heaven! They don't even look like cheap clothes.

Oh another great store we have out here, Lyris, is Tall Girl. They are a national chain, they just don't have many shops. www.tallgirlshop.com You can't buy online though, you have to find a local store. :(
But anyway, I have long legs and long arms, so they're clothes are great! It's amazing to try on pants that are too long!
Express also makes great pants in tall lengths. Not tops though. I always have to buy big sizes to have a top with long enough sleeves at Express.

You know, no matter how many nice clothes I buy, I always end up still wearing my frumpy ones a great deal. It's tempting to consign them all! Of course I'd keep some lounge around the house clothes that I could never wear out of the house.

I want to go on that What Not to Wear show. :)
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
KathyAnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KathyAnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2003 at 8:49pm
Nordstroms or Marshall/Fields. Good quality, great selection, not too bad prices!!!!!
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2003 at 6:21am
Hi all,

A little off topic.................

Grover...you went to Purdue? OMG. My two nephews both went there and Brigid my niece is going there now. I have been trying to entice her to stay in Dallas and go to SMU instead but she loves Purdue and is going back. :-( We also had a couple of people from Purdue working for my software company. I only wish I could find some Purdue grads in Dallas for HB.com. Purdue turns out such fine grads from everything I have seen.

So cool.

Back on topic..................

I rarely go to malls because of the time factor and do 99% of my shopping online. However, every year at Christmas I do take one day to go to the Galleria in Dallas to do my shopping. I love TheBodyShop and Bath&Beauty. Also Nordstroms (shoes) & Niemans (great perfumes) and Barneys (very interesting stuff). I used to like Casual Corner but haven't been there for awhile.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2003 at 1:47pm
Karen! I love Purdue! I'd still be there if I could! It isn't exactly the hotbed of children's television though. So I need to stay here in NYC.
I went to Purdue to be in the marching band. Not because they have the best program for what I wanted to study. But it's a great engineering/science/agriculture school.

I'd come work for you in a heartbeat, but I'm a little far away. :p Besides, I'm not a software designer.
I'm looking for a job "outside the industry" so I can concentrate on my own writing. I'm not working too hard on my writing right now because I'm under contract with a production house and technically when you are under contract, everything you write belongs to them. Which sucks, and would only become an issue if what you write is successful. Which is not likely but is obviously my goal.

Ahem! Anyway, I can't believe you're so busy you never get to the mall! I hope I never get THAT busy! LOL. I'm sure I'd have a lot more money in the bank if I didn't go so often though. Come to think of it, it'd probably be more fun if I only went to the mall once a year, and let myself spend more instead of going once or twice a month and spending $40 here, $60 there.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2003 at 2:17pm
Hi SG,

My apologies....Off Topic........

We do hire software engineers for T&S Software but for HB.com we hire all sorts of people. Right now we are looking for someone to replace Brigid when she goes back to Purdue in the Fall :-( We hire full time and part time and contract. Whatever works.

I currently need a customer service/retail associate. Someone that is very friendly on the phone & can take orders and/or handle some customer service. Also, helping to place product orders (we have several major lines that have to constantly be managed & it is a big task to keep up with inventories) and some fulfillment and other assorted tasks. It is not really hard to work at HB.com but it is very fast paced. I mean, we should all wear rollerblades to get from one end of the warehouse to the other quickly. :-) We do dress very casual (shorts & Ts but shoes are required). We all work hard but we have fun. :-)

I have not had much luck getting the right person to add to our existing staff. Right now I am extremely happy with everyone that works at HB.com but need a few more good ones. I would love to find some good, self motivated, college students that want to work 25-30 hours a week while they go to school. I have not been able to locate them. If you find any...send them to me.

Of course they have to work in Dallas but hey...Big D has lots and lots of malls. I was just at the Stonebriar mall yesterday and could not believe how huge it is. It is one of the newest malls in town and they have just about every store and shop you could imagine.

I actually did not go to Stonebriar to shop but to check out some storefront locations. HB.com is opening a brick/mortar boutique in 2004 and I am looking for the right location. Which is no easy task.

Best wishes,
Karen

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Deluxe View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2003 at 2:29pm
Hi Karen,

On Topic: I love the Gap so much.

Off Topic: I have read and heard so much about HB.com and I have heard it is really a great place to work. I live in Houston but if there was any way I could get to Dallas I would be there. Do you still have a hairstylist that visits every month and gives complimentary cuts?

Back On Topic: I love Victoria's Secret but I hate to shop there because I always feel like I will never fit into anything because it all looks so small.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2003 at 5:35pm
Darn! That's just the job I'm looking for. One that would leave me enough free time to write. And it'd be so much fun to work at HairBoutique. And I'm sure I'd learn a lot from you about running a business.
D'oh! It's a bit of a long commute, unfortunately.
I've never even been to Dallas. I can't even think of Dallas without getting the TV show theme song stuck in my head. Sorry! It's probably a cliche you're tired of.

You're opening up a brick and mortar HairBoutique! That's awesome! You are so amazing.
I can believe finding the right place is not easy. Good luck!
Mylissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mylissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2003 at 11:13am
Express
Old Navy
Gap
Eddie Bauer
American Eagle

Am fortunate to work where is completely casual dress...jeans, birks, tees...my 'dress up' is fav sundress..and yes those birks yet again. Winter attire...jeans, sweatshirts, sweaters...docs or if looks right *lol* birks again and sweater looking socks.
Mylissa
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic