Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

When movie stars steal your clothes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When movie stars steal your clothes
    Posted: July 22 2003 at 8:06am
Have you ever watched a movie and realized you own the SAME THING a character is wearing? In American Beauty, Thora Birch (the daughter) is wearing a very unique red sweater with tulips all over it during the dinner table scene. I bought that sweater from TJ Maxx WAY before American Beauty was even a glimmer in director Sam Mendes' eye! What's up with movies stealing our fashion thunder....from TJ Maxx no less?!?!?!

;-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 10:50am
Hi Lyris,

I loved that movie and I remember the sweater. Too cute. I think you should just send the director a bill for being a clothing stylist. :-) At any rate. You did a great job.

Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Constance View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Constance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 12:00pm
What drives me nuts is when someone steals my hairstyle. I totally understand how Jennifer Aniston felt. :-) I got these awesome chunky highlights in my hair and one of the women at work complimented it. She asked where I got it done and then showed up 2 weeks later with the same exact look. UGH. Then her best friend in a different department showed up with the same block color.

Have any of you had that happen?

Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 12:47pm
Karen--you remember that sweater? Now THAT'S impressive!

Constance--my advice would be to never reveal your sources! When someone asks where you got your magnificent do, just smile and say "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you." :-)

But really, take it as a compliment. Imitation is flattery--and it's annoying, for sure--but flattery, nonetheless.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Twanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 12:48pm
Yes, there was a woman who worked at the same company, but different department who liked to copy my haircuts. One time she told me she would wait to see what I did to my hair before making her hair appointment. That was ok with me as I thought of it as a very genuine compliment.

Twanda
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Constance Constance wrote:

What drives me nuts is when someone steals my hairstyle. I totally understand how Jennifer Aniston felt. :-) I got these awesome chunky highlights in my hair and one of the women at work complimented it. She asked where I got it done and then showed up 2 weeks later with the same exact look. UGH. Then her best friend in a different department showed up with the same block color.

yes in 98 i got my hair hightlighted. my mom loved it. so she went and hade it done the same color! since she is my mom i will let it go. LOL!
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 4:46pm
Quote What drives me nuts is when someone steals my hairstyle. I totally understand how Jennifer Aniston felt. :-) I got these awesome chunky highlights in my hair and one of the women at work complimented it. She asked where I got it done and then showed up 2 weeks later with the same exact look. UGH. Then her best friend in a different department showed up with the same block color.

yups. TWICE. by the same person! in high school and then again in college. It was soo annoying. To make a long story short, I'm no longer in contact with that person, but it was a combination of reasons, not just the immitating.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 8:22am
In reference to that tulip sweater mentioned above(it's MINE, darnit!) I found a picture of Thora Birch wearing it:

http://us.imdb.com/EGallery?source=ss&group=0169547&photo=Ss/0169547/14&path=pgallery&path_key=Birch,%20Thora

Interestingly enough, there are people out there talking about this sweater:

Writer David Freeman says: "For Thora Birch...red also is related to the assertion of individuality. When she storms away from the stilted dinner after telling off her parents, she wears a sweater with red flowers. "

I never knew TJ Maxx-wear was so significant.
adina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2005 at 9:25pm
I have!I have this black nylon and lycra top with a pheniox on it made of sequins,I saw Ahlyia wearing it right before she died at the music awards.
Jzaeiy_sweet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jzaeiy_sweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2005 at 9:42pm

yea, i had a skirt and this girl at my school saw me buy it then she bought it and asked me when will i wear it so she can wear hers with me? (such a biter) oh and who's Ahlyia

God Bless, and have a wonderful day.
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2005 at 10:03pm
Aaliyah,Was a very talented R&B singer who died really young.She played akasha in "Queen of the damned",right before she died.Its really quite sad.I think she was only like 24 or something.
Jzaeiy_sweet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jzaeiy_sweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2005 at 9:24pm
ooh!! she was talking about Aaliyah! I don't know why i couldn't see that.
God Bless, and have a wonderful day.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic