Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I vote for opinions!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ssjockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I vote for opinions!
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:28am

AMEN Brother Flea!

It is one thing to say "boy, did Demi Moore buzz her hair" versus, "I think so and so should buzz her hair". These types of posts are what have ruined other hair boards. If Jerky Flea needs to act like a dictator over this board, that's OK with me.

But enough of that, the real purpose of this board to get reaction to what celebrities are doing with their hair right now. For instance, any comments on what I saw on TV last night:

1. I saw Gloria Estefan, and I thought her chin length bob looked much better on her than the picture that Jerky posted recently. It looks a little longer and fuller.

2. What do you think of Courtney Cox, and her VERY long hair. It appears to almost come to her waist. Although I liked her hair in the first/second season of Friends, this style is "growing" on me (no pun intended).

3. I am starting to see previews for the movie "The Messenger" starring Milla Jojovich. Jerky previously reported that she cut her hair for the role. Does anyone know how her hair looks now? I think she is an amazingly beautiful woman, but the short, short look doesn't "cut it" (again, no pun intended) on her!

JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:28am

In another post, I said...

Expressing your obvious fetish fantasies in the form of an opinion isn't what this board is about and may potentially get your post yanked.

Some of you seem to have missed that point, so I figured it was worth repeating. Before the Scotts, Pauls, and all professional wrestlers of the world begin to jump up and down and claim that they are simply giving their opinion, let me point out a few things that tag any and all of your suggestions as fetish based:

1) EVERY long haired celebrity to which you refer should not only cut her hair, but cut it extremely short (e.g., a pixie, crop, or buzz) or to a bob with a buzzed nape.

2) Using the word "buzz" in anyway shape or form as a part of a suggested style. And given the context, "clippered" falls in there as well.

3) Always, and I do mean ALWAYS, suggesting the same style, no matter who the celebrity is. You all have your favorites: Bret with the "high 'n tight crop", Paul with the bob, etc. Believe it or not, every style doesn't work on everyone.

4) Constantly posting asking for opinions on whether the same celebrity should cut her hair. I just can't see enough posts about Pamela Lee and Angela Watson going super short.

Too harsh? Think I'm being unfair? Then the next time one of you posts such a suggestion, explain why that super short style is the only one that would work and why no other style would look just as good or better. I know that would require more work, but it should go faster since you'll actually be able to type with both hands for once. Until you can show that you are actually forming an opinion, rather than simply reguritating your fantasies at every opportunity, then your post won't be taken seriously.

As usual,
JerkyFlea

P.S. Oh, and before you think I've forgotten about you long-hair fetishers, extreme adverse reactions to any suggestion (with the obvious exception of those listed above) that a long haired star should cut her hair to a different style is also a giveaway. KEEP IN MIND, what I mean here is not a commentary base on the fact that the celeb looks good with her long hair as it is, but a response couched in the belief that all women best with long hair. THAT is what I mean is as bad as saying all women look best with super short hair.

Related Link:

http://www.hairboutique.com/jerkyflea/jerkyflea.htm" target=_blank>JerkyFlea's Celebrity Hair Spray

3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
Gord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:28am

> AMEN Brother Flea!

> It is one thing to say "boy, did Demi Moore buzz
> her hair" versus, "I think so and so should
> buzz her hair". These types of posts are what
> have ruined other hair boards. If Jerky Flea needs to
> act like a dictator over this board, that's OK with
> me.

> But enough of that, the real purpose of this board to
> get reaction to what celebrities are doing with their
> hair right now. For instance, any comments on what I
> saw on TV last night:

> 1. I saw Gloria Estefan, and I thought her chin length
> bob looked much better on her than the picture that
> Jerky posted recently. It looks a little longer and
> fuller.

> 2. What do you think of Courtney Cox, and her VERY
> long hair. It appears to almost come to her waist.
> Although I liked her hair in the first/second season
> of Friends, this style is "growing" on me
> (no pun intended).

> 3. I am starting to see previews for the movie
> "The Messenger" starring Milla Jojovich.
> Jerky previously reported that she cut her hair for
> the role. Does anyone know how her hair looks now? I
> think she is an amazingly beautiful woman, but the
> short, short look doesn't "cut it" (again,
> no pun intended) on her!

Durango View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:28am

Right on, JF! While I might not entirely agree about what is a "fetish", it's your board, and you have the right to run it as you see fit. I notice that most everyone keeps coming back.

Pretty quickly, you'll start to get the whining about 1st Amendment rights. To which my response is (a) he who pays the piper calls the tune and (b) if you want to publicize your own opinion but don't want to play by the rules, start your own board.

I enjoy this board for the lively commentary and witty turn of phrase. If I want to read fetish stuff, I'll vote with my feet (more accurately, my mouse) and find a board devoted to it.

Speaking of lively turn of phrase, you mentioned in your last column that some celebrity looked as though her hair had been styled with a Cuisinart. That phrase kept running through my mind last night when I walked by the TV set as my better half and my granddaughter were watching "Wheel of Fortune." Vanna White's hair definitely qualified for the description--chopped layers every which way. Not to mention (which, in best JF style, I just have) that she could stand to have the roots touched up too. What is the woman thinking of?

Durango
misterhappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misterhappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 8:31am
Yes, I know this thread is ancient. It popped up on the "from the past" line, and I had to (re-)read it.

JF is absolutely right that simply repeating a single opinion over and over or using certain words in every post that seem to be 'code' for other interests adds no value to the board and frequently sucks value right out.

So here is a question for JF and anyone else with an opinion (that may justify moving this to the general board).

This board will continue to attract fetishists. Myself included. I try pretty hard to only comment when I have something useful to say, but I have no idea whether I am successful or not.

Something that is extremely difficult for me, and I suspect for others of my ilk, is knowing where the "line" is. I desperately need to be able to engage in conversation about hair, both to avoid the loneliness that was such a part of my pre-usenet life, to say nothing of the multi-media opportunities of the WWW.
But more importantly, I am still trying to learn what is appropriate conversation on this topic. Bear in mind that this is a subject on which I have suppressed a lot of emotion for the last 35 years or so. Kinda clouds that wholle judgement thing.

I know that there is a 'line' that I should not cross. I have never been able to identify it, and your help would be invaluable..

So I am asking to hear about the perspective of non-fetishists as to what is and is not appropriate discussion. The more detail you can provide as to what is and isn't OK would be helpful. I am not asking to carve rules in stone, only to share your thoughts and feelings, so we do not violate anyone's sense of propriety.

[OK, this really should go to the 'general' board, so I will cross-post it. Pease respond on that board if possible.]

Thanks.

Mr. Happy
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 5:20pm
Hello... I moved your post from the General board to the Politics board. The topic seems more suited to that forum.
misterhappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misterhappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 5:35am
Works for me.

Thanks,
Mr. Happy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic