Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

platinum blonde: Jean Harlow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: platinum blonde: Jean Harlow
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:29am

Hi, everyone,

It sounds like Jean Harlow went through hell to be a Platinum Blonde in the 1930's. I read that she dyed her hair using a concoction consisting of Clorox, Lux Flakes, ammonia, and some other equally "wonderful" ingredients. She had this put on her hair weekly for the roots. By age of 25, her scalp was fried, and she had to resort to wearing wigs, and her hair itself was completely damaged.

Makes me appreciate the sophistication we have in hair color today. Not that there is no risk of damage involved, but the idea of actually using Clorox on your hair sounds downright scary.

Clare

Clare
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:30am

A little Clorox never hurt anyone. She must have neglected to deep-condition. ;)

Ally

Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:30am

> A little Clorox never hurt anyone. She must have
> neglected to deep-condition. ;)

> Ally

Here are excerpts from the warning label on Bleach bottles:

"... MAY IRRITATE SKIN... WASH THOROUGHLY WITH SOAP AND WATER AFTER HANDLING... IF CONTACT WITH SKIN: IMMEDIATELY... WASH SKIN THOROUGHLY WITH WATER... DO NOT USE OR MIX WITH OTHER HOUSEHOLD CHEMICALS, SUCH AS ... AMMONIA CONTAINING PRODUCTS. TO DO SO WILL RELEASE HAZARDOUS GASES."

David M Squires
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:30am

Dave, I was TOTALLY kidding. I have to remember that sarcasm doesn't carry over well in this medium.

Please, NO ONE use Clorox on your hair! Bad Ally!

Ally

JM View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:30am

Maybe I'm hallucinating, but I think remember hearing that combining Clorox and ammonia results in a poisionous gas! Any Chemistry majors out there??

JM View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:30am

Yeah, I got that you were being totally facetious!

Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:30am

> Yeah, I got that you were being totally facetious!

Yeah, I got it too... but I have heard of people actually using the stuff on their hair (very diluted, of course). It's a great oxidizer, whitens up that dark hair in a jif. :-)

David M Squires
hre View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:30am

> Maybe I'm hallucinating, but I think remember hearing
> that combining Clorox and ammonia results in a
> poisionous gas! Any Chemistry majors out there??

Not a chemistry major but I believe it releases chlorine gas which can cause severe burns to mucous membranes (like your lungs) if inhaled.

Kids - don't try this at home.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic