Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kate Winslet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
splash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote splash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kate Winslet
    Posted: January 17 2000 at 4:08pm
Posting this a little late, but.. I saw Kate Winslet promoting her Holy Smoke flick on Late Night w/Dave L. Her hair seems to have grown out of the awkward short cut. She had it upswept in with pieces wound around the crown. It looked casual, but it was really cute on her. Maybe she's realizing that the hair needed to be a "little" longer with her round face. Anyways, on other stuff, her face seemed less round and she was very animated and quick-witted in the interview. IMHO, I think her face would come alive if she toned up a bit. Personally, I liked her in her earlier filming days when she was the most fit. She had a beautiful face. Don't flame me for the honest opinion. Plz.
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2000 at 12:18pm
Hi, splash.

Kate looks a ZILLION times better with longer hair. Since her real hair is very fine, though, she can't go TOO long, unless she adds extensions. (And she has previously.)

As far as her obviously fluctuating weight goes, Kate keeps changing her story. She acknowledged during the filming of "Titanic" that James Cameron put her on a low-fat diet and and an exercise regimen with a personal trainer. She lost 15 or 20 pounds to play Rose.

Since then, as die-hard fans know, she has shed weight for every film job, usually packing it back on right after the shoot. Magazine photographers use every trick in the book to slim her down.

Now she's telling the media that she doesn't believe in diets, and that she would never lose weight for a role. I could respect that if she really lived by it.

I am wholly in support of Kate's "healthy body" agenda. When she is in good shape, she embodies the feminine ideal. When she lets her weight go, however, she is simply too fat--undeniably beautiful, but too fat.

Our culture seems unable to walk that line between supermodel-skinny and plus-sized. I see all these large-size models and books with titles like "Eve Wasn't a Size 6, and Neither Am I." It's true that real woman are not generally 5'11" and a size 6. But size 20 is not healthy either, and should not be applauded. After all, we don't pat smokers and drug users on the back and tell them they're a-okay, do we? They aren't bad or inferior as human beings, but they aren't making healthy choices.

Ally

splash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote splash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2000 at 2:15pm
Ally- Wow, I am in complete agreement ... complete. I think she looks fabulous in Titanic, but I saw that interview and she did the frumpy thing to cover up a growing tummy. Not that big is not beautiful, but all people look and feel better when they're healthy. Notice I said healthy and not "skinny". Hats off to you, Ally. I like your guts.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2000 at 12:44pm
Hi Ally,

I could not agree with you more! Sometimes people who are medically overweight try to justify it by saying they're only "healthy-looking" and we shouldn't be slaves to the scale. I agree that an extra 10% of weight, as long as a person eats well and exercises is not a problem, but more than 20% overweight really is. I recently was pushing that limit but fortunately am almost back down, though I may keep on an extra 5 pounds because I just feel healthier and have more energy with a "tiny" bit of extra weight.

We seem to go in extremes -- very thin or very obese, and neither is healthy!

Jennifer
Anabelle View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anabelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2004 at 2:44pm
I was looking for posts about round face shapes and I came across this fairly old post, but I can't resist posting a response to the previous responses. Obviously, as many of you probably know, Kate Winslet has dropped a lot of weight since this thread was initially created, but she was never "too fat" or a size 20. I had read that she had topped off at a size 12. That's hardly obese. Also, why do you care what someone says about their weight? No one is applauding being a size 20 or any size. Those books and those comments are meant to show people that you can't lose weight to gain self esteem. You have to be comfortable with who you are and realize that you're probably not going to look like Cindy Crawford or Tyra Banks. As far as it being unhealthy, it's a myth that all overweight people are unhealthy. There are overweight people with low cholesterol, low blood pressure, and are in generally good health. They can have less plaque in their arteries than a size 4 counterpart. They can exercise more than someone who is deceivingly slim. I just want to make one more point before I end my post. Jennifer said that she keeps an extra 5 lbs. to feel healthy. Well, you may be surprised to know that virtually everyone's weight fluctuates within 5 lbs. It depends on the time of day you are weighed, your hormones, and a variety of other things. I think that people need to realize that while being obese is not healthy, being bigger is not necessarily the worst thing in the world. Some people will never be a size 2 (which is roughly the equivalent to a girls 6-8). If you are, then fine, but your perceptions shouldn't dictate how everyone looks. Kate Winslet has been called fat at a size 6. How small does she need to be for people to leave her alone?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic