Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WB 'LOCKS' STARS UP OVER HAIRCUTS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
brulist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brulist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WB 'LOCKS' STARS UP OVER HAIRCUTS
    Posted: June 03 2000 at 8:37am
From the New York Post:

WB 'LOCKS' STARS UP OVER HAIRCUTS

By BILL HOFFMANN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a case of shear chutzpah over at the WB - the TV network has
banned the young stars of "Felicity," "Dawson's Creek" and "Buffy the
Vampire Slayer" from cutting their hair short.
Network brass issued the edict in response to "Felicity" star Keri
Russell's chopping her locks last season, which sent fans into a fury -
and ratings into the toilet.

WB insists there's no official ban, but network spokesman Brad Turell
said, "We wouldn't like it if Keri Russell cut her hair again."

Turell said the network was jolted last year when fans reacted bitterly
to Russell chopping her long locks in favor of a poodle cut.

Viewers responded by tuning out in droves.

"You don't want to radically alter the look of a character from one
season to the next. That generally doesn't work," he said.

Turell said he believes Russell - who plays a California cutie
attending college in the Big Apple - realizes she looks better with
longer hair.

"I think she's happy to have it grow back. Her marketability is
enhanced with the longer hair," he said.

The no-cut policy is said to extend to "Buffy" star Sarah Michelle
Gellar, "Dawson's Creek" headliners Katie Holmes and James Van Der
Beek, "Charmed" star Shannen Doherty, and Charisma Carpenter of
"Angel."

The WB shows, seen in New York on WPIX/Channel 11, are popular with
teens and twentysomethings.

ssjockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2000 at 1:39am
That has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Figures it comes from the Post, known for journalistic integrity!

I would think that the stars mentioned would do as they please. Keri Russell's hair cut was a mutual decision. Shannen Doherty cut her hair before her new shoe and hasn't cut since. Sarah Michelle is a very bright girl and probably would only cut her hair for a very specific reason. As for the others, give me a break.

As for Ms. Russell, I would bet anyone that Keri would do it again, maeby not as short, but she would definately do it again. If people stop watching a show because a star cut his or her hair, then God help us.
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2000 at 9:52am
I disagree, and if the ban is real, I think it's valid.

At least 50 percent of these young actors' appeal comes from their looks. Probably more. They get paid an awful lot of money for they work they do, and their image makes the bread and butter for everyone associated with the show.

They have to maintain looks that are consistent and believable for the characters they portray. It's not up to Sarah Michelle Gellar, for example, to decide that Buffy would lop all her hair off.

And as for the "God help us!" lament, I would like to note that "Sports Night" has been cancelled.

God help us indeed.

Ally
Dante View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2000 at 3:41pm
Thats an idiotic decision. Why do the stars have to look the same for 20 years? Why can't the just change their look if the feel like doing it? In my opinion it would make the characters more realistic, since people do actualy change their look every now and then in real life, but the heros in the soap have to look always as if the just came from a salon, even if the jumped from a cliff. I Charisma or Shannon wants to try a different hairstyle so what the heck, let them....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic