Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ironing Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CB View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ironing Hair
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:06pm
My aunt Missy and mom like to tell a story about something she did in the 1960's. She had beautiful blond hair that was below waist length (I've seen pictures). It was just a bit wavy, which was a no no. She used to IRON it on the ironing board to get it straight as an arrow.One afternoon while ironing it she was distracted by the TV. All of a sudden my mom (her sister) noticed a terrible smell and smoke coming from her sisters hair. When the iron was raised the hair had been badly damaged. My mom threw the nearest liquid on it to cool it off. It was a cup of bleach! Missy blamed my mom for years. Grandma tried to brush it out but great hunks fell out. It was singed and brittle and a mess. Aunt missy ran to her room and cut off the damage - It ended up about bra strap length.Needless to say she threw the iron away.
Anna View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:06pm
HA ! You really made me laugh on that one CB and it brought back a lot of memories from the 60's when I grew up. And yes I did iron my hair as well. The fashion was for arrow straight hair.I never burned my hair as badly as you described but it definitely got singed a few times. My girl friends Mary K. and Glo will remember after school sessions where we would get out my moms iron and iron each others hair. My hair was mid back, Mary's was to her tush and Glo's was a bit longer.Thanks for the memory jogger!
Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:07pm
I find this hard to believe. Did women actually iron their hair. Do you have any photo or other proof??I must admit I am intrigued.
:)
Kim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:07pm
> My aunt Missy and mom like to tell a story about> something she did in the 1960's. She had beautiful> blond hair that was below waist length (I've seen> pictures). It was just a bit wavy, which was a no no.> She used to IRON it on the ironing board to get it> straight as an arrow.> One afternoon while ironing it she was distracted by> the TV. All of a sudden my mom (her sister) noticed a> terrible smell and smoke coming from her sisters hair.> When the iron was raised the hair had been badly> damaged. My mom threw the nearest liquid on it to cool> it off. It was a cup of bleach! Missy blamed my mom> for years. Grandma tried to brush it out but great> hunks fell out. It was singed and brittle and a mess.> Aunt missy ran to her room and cut off the damage - It> ended up about bra strap length.> Needless to say she threw the iron away.She shouldn't of been trying to imatate Giget....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic