Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Purple hair problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sheri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Purple hair problem
    Posted: March 12 2001 at 4:48pm
I have been coloring my hair for years, but recently tried a new brand (Nutriesse Garnier). Really wish I hadn`t !!!
My original color is dark brown with reddish highlights & I have usually stayed pretty close to this when coloring. I color about every 3-4 months. Anyway, this time my hair came out PURPLE. I colored again with same brand and went two shades lighter hoping to fix, and got black (like my black lab) but with purple highlights.
Desperate, but not smart, I tried a Clairol brand in the lightest brown shade. It did lighten the black, and reduce some purple, but also added RED. It`s been a week, and I hate it, unfortunately, I don`t have a pro stylist that I have confidence in, so I`d rather do it myself. My hair, believe it or not, seems to be in okay condition (except the color). Do I have any options... like highlighting, color removing, lighter color ????
Please HELP !!!!!!
Tina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2001 at 12:43pm
Reply to message: 7.891.1
Im so happy I seen your ad. I used the same brand and mine did the same thing!Now I have dark purple hair and don`t know what to do. Have you found any solution? I called around and it would cost $50.00 an hour just for the salon to strip the color out. Any other idea`s to get this purple out? Please help!
that is a hair DON'T
Sheri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2001 at 1:50pm
Reply to message: 7.894.1
Hi Tina,
No solution yet, just keeping a low profile and staying out of public view... I did get a much lighter color to try (crazy, I know), but I will do a strand test first. I`ll let you know if I am successful---keep your fingers crossed!!! Sheri
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2001 at 5:59pm
I just went through this with my daughter trying to get red out. Apparently the only way is to completely bleach the old color out and this will also completely fry your hair. Hers is OK now but kind of fried. We went to a pro and he had to work on it for about four hours a day for three different days to finally get something she liked. And it is still kinda red, just not as much now. Good luck.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Randy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2001 at 9:27pm
you cannot lighten up an artificial color with more artificial color. COLOR + COLOR ALWAYS = DARKER COLOR. Remember that. Go to a beauty school or salon.

Why do so many people try coloring at home? I don`t get it. When you do mess up, most people try then to fix it themselves and end up doing more harm than good. A trip to your salon to get your color done could have saved you from having to be a hermit while you get that awful color out of your hair.
Kimberlina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberlina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2001 at 1:26am
Reply to message: 7.901.1
Randy,
The reason most people try to colour at home is because it costs so much to go to a salon. I am a student at uni, and living out of home... I can`t justify spending AUS$80 to go to a salon, that takes me about 8 hours work to get that much money!
There is a lot of information available on the `net, magazines, etc, so you figure why not? It usually is successful, I`ve found, if you don`t mess arounds with lighter colours, bleaches and especially streaks. I have been adding highlights to my hair since the start of the year when I moved out of home, and although they are not up to my usual standard, most people can`t tell the difference.

I must say though, if you get someone else (not even necessarily experienced) to do it, it usually ends up looking much better than if you do it yourself.

Kim.
From the one and only Kimberlina from Australia!
Guest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2001 at 12:37am
Wow you got purple hair... cool. That`s actually what im trying to get. Sorry to hear that`s not what you wanted, so i suggest getting your hair fixed at a salon. They will fix ya right up.
me View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2001 at 11:26am
sorry bout your hair... yeah, it seems like the best idea would be going to a salon. or, you might get used to it and actually start liking it. either way, good luck
Madge View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2001 at 10:15am
Try one of those clarifying shampoos by Neutorogena or Bumble & Bumble. They will gradually make the color less noticeable. But be sure to condition after using them because they can be very drying. I have also heard using dish washing liquid (once a week only) can help fade bad color.
Anonymous View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anonymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2001 at 12:02pm
Reply to message: 7.1112.1
I tried a color that left my hair purple, as well. I was told by the manufacturer that only a black dye job would cover it, which is what I did. Even though I now look like Elvira, the black is much preferable to the purple. Good luck!
eekette View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eekette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2001 at 9:45pm
Reply to message: 7.1147.1
oooooooohhhh.....nasty problem....:o
SB View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2002 at 10:05pm
re: salon visits. very true much too expensive. but also some people have had worse experiences in a salon and won`t trust anyone to touch their hair again. if i mess up on my hair, i am to blame. but if a professional messes up my hair, where would i turn then?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic