Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Relaxer Ruined My Hair! Help!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
georgia85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgia85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Relaxer Ruined My Hair! Help!!!!
    Posted: June 21 2001 at 5:48pm
I`m a caucasion female with 24 inches of extremely coarse & curly hair. I ran into a woman who used to have the same kind of hair as I do but now her hair is silky straight. She told me she uses Revlon MILD Relaxer. With great anticipation I bought all the right ingredients & followed instructions to a "T". As I was washing it out, hand fulls of hair came out. As I blow dried it (WON`T call it hair - felt more like mush) 8 more hand fulls came out. What I have remaining is broken wire for hair. Other than shaving my head does anyone know of any conditioner I can use to at least make my hair feel like hair again? Ladies beware...relaxers - no matter how mild - are not for us white folks!!!!
Michelle766 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michelle766 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2001 at 10:53pm
You better get professional help, you will probabley lose alot of length, but shouldnt have to crop it. Good luck
Robyn View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2001 at 9:43pm
Reply to message: 7.983.1
Ooooooooohhhhhhhh dear.....not what I was wanting to hear considering I have an appointment tomorrow to relax my hair at a salon with a stylist I really trust. Are you sure that maybe it was just the relaxer formula? Cause I really heard that relaxing should always be done by a professional. I am soooo sorry that happened to your hair. What a nightmare!!! Good luck! :)
Madge View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2001 at 3:44pm
Reply to message: 7.1148.1
Some salons have another type of straightening treatment called thermal reconditioning. I read about it in In Style magazine. It is designed for Caucasian/Hispanic hair that is curly, but not kinky like African-American hair. I`m not sure exactly how it works, but it doesn`t use lye like traditional relaxing.
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2001 at 10:23am
Reply to message: 7.1159.1
I have read a few articles about thermal reconditoning too. It seems to be based on a Japanese hair straightening system to achieve strong, soft, silky, straight hair! They say that even hard to control, damaged hair can become "wash and wear". It claims to smooth curly, dry, unruly hair `permanently` with a straightening system that uses heat to restructure the hair`s protein bond. The system uses a specially-designed, patented heat iron set at over three hundred degrees to "seal in moisture once the cystine bond in the hair is cut off, allowing hair to be molded into any shape. Heat consolidates the straightening process- REPAIRING and REGENERATING hair. The shine and softness are evident. Salon professionals and the customer both love the system`s results." Ms.Yuko, who created the system in 1996 with the intent "to create a non-coating, straightening system that uses the heat oxidation process to SEAL IN and REBUILD hair from the inside out." This new system depends upon the iron which reaches 356° to achieve the desired results. One of the YUKO steps includes using shark oil on the hair, and also using steam instead of direct heat to condition the hair. They claim the hair will remain straight for 5 months.

Merlin
Jina View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2002 at 6:29pm
Do NOT USE THE THERMAL RECONDITIONING unless you have reasonably healthy hair.. I`m on this site right now.. because I`m devastated by the results of my " japanese straightening.." I went in to get it done in hopes of getting my long hair "silky smooth" but left the salon with short kinky hair... I`m a 20 year old asian, and now I have short african american hair... Apparently, the stylists were money hungry, and didn`t let me know that my previously bleached hair is not suitable for this treatment.. my hair turned to mush... and now.. i dont even know what to do with it...i was told deep conditioning will not be very helpful.
Joy88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2002 at 10:22pm
What a shame. What works for someone
else may not work for you.
I had my hair almost ruined. That is
how I found this site 3 months ago.
I went to an upscale hair salon and
the color `expert` turned my pretty
light brown hair BLACK. My girlfriend
stripped the color and put in a pretty
brown color I could live with. But...
my hair felt like straw.
1. I got a really good hair vitamin
and took them everyday.
2. I had my hair trimmed every 4 weeks.
It is above my shoulders now but at
least it is in good condition. I thank
this site for helping me save my hair.
oOoStArSpArKoOo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oOoStArSpArKoOo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2002 at 5:35pm
I`m so sorry that happened to you.
Although for the person who was worrying about it, it depends on the formula and the type of hair you have, I had my hair relaxed(I think that`s what she did)to get rid of a perm I had, and I didn`t have any trouble, it didn`t even dry out, so, "what works for someone else may not work for you" is definatally true here.
StArSpArK
liz_naz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liz_naz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2002 at 6:26pm
yes

i permed my hair TWICE within 6 months

and as u can imagine its like straw :S

a couple of days ago i brought KERASTASE products from a Professional Hairdresser Regis, (in the UK)

it has made my hair like how it is naturally, when the hairdressers have blowndried ur hair :O :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

i cudnt believe how my hair was!!

u will be so happy once uve tried it
get it qiik gal!
:|
---------------x
:Liz_Naz* (",)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic