Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

All Mixed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Char$$$ View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Char$$$ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All Mixed
    Posted: May 13 2002 at 11:25pm
Have youever tried to make your hair a funky color. At some point in time you have this sudden urge to just completly go past naturaL hair color. Thats where I come in. I bleached certain parts of my hair. Then I colored the bleached areas RED. Now that the color is fading my hair is a bundle of different shades of red and orange and in some areas blond. My hair feels so damaged, dry, foolish. I have not found a conditioner that will heal my hair. HELP!!!! any suggestions?
rome19047 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rome19047 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2002 at 9:47am
Well, first you should get a protein and conditioning treatment from a salon. Redken CAT treatment is good, Matrix has a good treatment also. I`d also get a deep conditioner, do this for two weeks if you can wait that long. Then when your ready go to a salon, and color your hair darker, it is better especially when your hair is fried, they will probably use something more gentle like a demi permanent, but that will take better to over processed hair.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2002 at 3:44pm
Some conditioners I really like:

*Aura Cherry Almond Bark Conditioner (much like the Aveda version...only cheaper.) It`s got a VERY strong licorice smell but is quite good. Even Paula Begoun, the consumer advocate writer, liked it.

*Biotera Reconstructing conditioner for dry, damaged hair. I buy this at Sally`s, and it`s a Biolage-type hair balm that I still love after years of use.

*Vidal Sassoon Deep Treatment: Wal-mart has it the cheapest and it`s almost IDENTICAL to Physique`s intense moisture conditioner. Look at the ingredient list and you`ll be very surprised by the similarities. Both work well.

*L`oreal Nature`s Therapy mega moisture. This smells WONderful, is super thick and is at Sally`s (I swear I should buy stock in that company; I practically support them already with frequent purchases.) Other ppl here commented on an earlier post about the pure magic this entire line works.

*Got2b in Therapy reconstructing conditioner. I buy at Target---it`s a fun purple perlescent color with a very unusual (but good, nonetheless) scent.

Once a week I slather conditioner on, wear a heating cap for 15 minutes then sleep with the cond. in my hair. A bit messy (and not exactly romantic) but it`s managable with a towel on your pillow.

Different hair types will have varying degrees of success with all those products out there, but for me I`ve found conditioners listing silicone-derivatives (dimethicone, cyclomethicome) as ingredients really increase the shine factor. These can build up, however, so make sure to deep cleanse as needed.

Keep in mind that no conditioner can actually "heal" or "repair" your hair, not even the "reconstructing" ones. Hair is dead. You can improve its look and feel by using products that coat the hair shaft with softness-enhancing agents, but since no new cells are generated, you can`t actually repair the damage. Protein treatments can tighten up damaged hair shafts, but it can`t actually repair the damaged cuticle. I also suggest an emollient moisturizing leave-in conditioner. Aussie Hair Insurance is GREAT. I`m a real fan.

Also, not washing your hair every day will cut down on the wear and tear caused by the shampooing/drying cycle. A gentle shampoo with a mild detergent (like sodium LAURETH sulfate) will help (try Nature`s Therapy Mega Moisture shampoo......my hair feels like silk in the shower) as will a weekly hot oil treatment.

I hope some of this helps. Believe me, my hair has probably been in worse shape than yours since I`ve made some rather unfortunate hair color choices. But it`s mostly grown out and it really helps to use the right products. Good luck! :-)

Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic