Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

need advice right hair color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mephcat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mephcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need advice right hair color
    Posted: May 30 2002 at 2:57am
About two weeks ago I had some major damage done when I went to a salon to try to get back to my natural hair color (light ash brown) from the black I have been dyeing it for two years. My just past the shoulders hair is now short and I have to start all over again.

The worst of it I hate the color!!!! granted it`s a little redder than my natural color, but I feel wrong.

I had it dark all the time I was growing it out, and it seemed it grew faster when I dyed it dark, is that possible?
I`m not really sure what tone my complexion is, but I look awful in yellow, good in red and great in lavender, eh in pink, I`m not sure about orange because I hate it.
I have freckles on my face, nose, but not that may except in summer, and i don`t freckle anywhere else. My eyes are medium to dark brown.

I`m thinking of matching my haircolor to my eyes, and going with a natural dark brown, what do you all think and what`s a really gentle hair color that will take on the really damaged ends?

thanks
mephcat
KAREN8263 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN8263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2002 at 1:50pm
Hi! well first of all it sounds like you are what they call a "cool tone" complexion..stick to cool based or blue based colors of red,blue,pinks etc..so I think a medium or light brown would be ok based on your description. However, I would recommend starting with a semi permenant color just to be safe-sounds like the black was a disaster. Personally I like the Loreal products or stick to something with low amonia or no poroxide-good luck!
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2002 at 3:51pm
Maybe you could start with a semi-permanent or even temporary dark brown color with an ashen cast. That would counteract the warm brassy red tones, which probably don`t look so good with your cool complexion. There are some good, less harsh dyes at Sally`s and some in your drugstore but remember that virtually any semi-perm color will cause some damage--it`s unavoidable. For haircolor to work it must expand the hair shaft with a basic substance, such as ammonia, lifting the original color and allowing the new shade to get in. If it didn`t do this, the color would only coat the shaft, and the results would just be temporary (as with temporary colors.) This process can harm your hair, so it`s important not to do it if your hair is getting toasty fried.

Also remember that haircolor will actually "take" better on damaged ends because the hair is more porous, thus grabbing the color more easily. You should take special care that the ends don`t go darker than the rest of your hair, possibly by coloring them last for the least amount of time. Whatever you do, be sure to not overdo and deep condition a LOT, because damaged hair really bites. Just be careful, so you can keep your beautiful hair :-) Good luck!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic