Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

URGENT! NEED ADVICE!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Christena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: URGENT! NEED ADVICE!
    Posted: October 26 2002 at 10:26pm
10-26-02

Hello!

I had some questions, that I had hoped maybe someone out there would be able to help me out...my son, Ryan has a natural wave or curl to his hair, and ordinarily is a medium-to-dark brown tint...

This summer, Ryan decided to color his hair jet black with some just for men hair coloring and then the next day or the day after that he had someone attempt to straighten his wavy hair...

well, right after he had the hair straightened he could tell something wasn`t right...so, he tried to shampoo it out...then it was lifeless...flat to his head, no life to this hair at all...

there was only one option -- and that was to get it cut...so, i took him to the hair salon and they cut it short kind of like adam sandler`s...i could still see that my son`s hair was black, and not it`s natural brown color. so, i don`t think they cut it short enough the first time.

anyway, over the course of the next few weeks he didn`t get his hair cut and it grew, but it was still black in its appearance...and it still seemed to be affected, it still seemed fried.

he let his hair grow a little, then had it cut again...
had his hair grow a little, then had it cut again...

so, he`s had his hair cut like four or five times...and finally it`s grown enough to where you could tell it`s brown again...but, it still seemed to be affected by the straightener.

finally, he felt as though he were left with no other choice...so, he took a razor...like you would shave your mustache with and shaved his head with it...shaved it bald.

well, what i would like to know -- is if by shaving your head bald...would that eliminate anything that could`ve ever been done to his hair, or is there still a chance that it could always be messed up...and still not come in right.

will shaving his head cause him anymore damage? will it come back in the natural medium-to-dark brown and wavy/curly hair like it was before?

he shaved his head bald on october 9, 2002...so, it`s been like 17 days, and he hasn`t shaved it since...but, something kinda unusual seems to be showing now...

i don`t know if this is just the shape of his head or what, but now since he is letting his hair grow back from having been shaved bald...there appears to be almost like a cross type shape on the top of hair (what little hair has come back in 17 days) will the cross shape go away when the hair is longer?

he has been using shampoo and conditioner, but still he thinks his hair feels dry...what else can be done?

most importantly, will having shaved his head eliminate any damage that would have occurred from frying his hair with a mixture of black hair color and chemical straightener?

will it grow back in -- in it`s natural texture and shape? please let me know, i am very concerned about my son...and he is very concerned about his hair as well...he is seventeen years old...and always wants to look good.

wozziewoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wozziewoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2002 at 3:55pm
I`m not positive about what I`m about to say but this is my opinion. Since hair grows from the root & not the ends, in theory the new hair growing out of your head shouldn`t be affected by things you`ve done to it in the past. Therefore, as your hair grows your natural color & texture should emerge through. As to why this didn`t happen with your son, I can`t answer, however, hair does take time to grow & jet black is a very powerful color so it may take longer then usual. Also, most hair is straight right out of the root; it takes a little bit of length for the hair to curl. Therefore, after your repeated cutting, your son`s hair may have been to short to hold the curl. As to the last part of your post, sometimes hair grows in funny paterns, even more so when it`s curly or wavy. Hair takes some time to grow, at an average of 1/2 an inch a month, your son`s hair has probably only grown around 1/4 of an inch. I would have to say that everything should be fine & his hair should "return to normal" it will just take some time. Hope this is of some help.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2002 at 6:58pm
The above poster got it right--your son`s hair will grow in the way it was before the processing.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
TINY View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TINY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2002 at 11:36pm
I agree, it will grow back to it`s original texture/color. I have two grown sons. They both went through the "shave the head" stages. Both of them had their hair grow back to its original texture/color....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic