Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Light Brown hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dyer34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyer34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light Brown hair
    Posted: November 09 2002 at 2:09pm
About 3 days ago I dyed my hair a medium brown semi permant color by Clariol Natural Instintcs over my hair which was a dark red color. It was too dark for me, so last nite I dyed my hair another semi dye by loreal called amber which is a light brown. Well that didn`t work so well...my hair might be only 1 shade lighter, and I really hate it. I`m thinking of putting Brown sugar, a light brown by Garner Nutresse, which is permanent but will that work to make my hair a light brown color?
Laura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2002 at 1:21am
well first off, strand test first. Second, i would try some henna dye, i find it reliable, and many brands have guides as to what color your hair will turn out depending on your natural color. plus its good for your hair and doesnt put any crap in it. if all else fails you can always go pro, but that can be a major waste of money!!
Mary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2002 at 12:16pm
The problem is you already had a dark dye in your hair. In my experience if you have one dark color in your hair and try to color over it, the new lighter color doesn`t really lift off the darker dye. If your hair hasn`t been colored or has been colored blonde, you can put a light brown color in and it will work fine. I would leave my hair alone if I were you.
turquoise_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2002 at 10:50pm
about the henna mentioned above: does it do ANY damage to the hair? is it permanent? what colors does it come in? THANKS!
jg1999 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jg1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2002 at 8:41am
The bad part about Henna dyes is: YOU CANNOT DYE OVER THEM! it will either not work, SERIOUSLY mess up your hair, or both...
this is why, on the instructions in haircolor boxes, they tell you that if youhave henna in your hair, to wait until that hair is cut OFF...

so if you`re like me and love to dye your hair, Henna is NOT the way to go... because once you got it you are STUCK with it unless you shave yourself bald.
TINY View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TINY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2002 at 11:29pm
MY HAIRDRESSER ONCE TOLD ME: "YOU CANNOT CHANGE HAIR COLOR WITH HAIRCOLOR..." HOPE THIS HELPS.
TINY View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TINY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2002 at 11:30pm
I`M SORRY, WHAT I MEANT TO SAY IS MY HAIRDRESSER ONCE TOLD ME: "YOU CANNOT LIGHTEN PERMANENT HAIR COLOR WITH ANOTHER COLOR..."
amber View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2003 at 7:25pm
If it was semi-permanent... than it come's out in 24 washes. I've used it before and it will either come out in 24 or less washes. You could have just washed your hair a few times to remove some and waited out the rest. Now that you've added more dye to it... It'll be a longer wait.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2003 at 8:48pm
Hi,

Sounds like to me you have layered and layered color on top of color. Packing all those color molecules on top of each other. This is a very hard process for you to fix. But it is fixable. See a hairstylist that specializes in haircolor for the very best results.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2003 at 12:32pm
Check the instructions on the permanent dye. I don't think that you can use a permanent over a semi-permanent. One of the color experts can tell you why. But a semi-permanent only coats the hair (unless your hair is super porous, then it tends to grab the color and it might stay longer). Anyhow, I do believe the instructions tell you to wait until the semi is all washed out.

Also, with semi-permanents, you just can not go lighter, a little brighter (it will pick up the lighter tones and brighten them), but not lighter. Do your homework before you proceed. And it will fade with shampoos.

Using 2 different shades shouldn't be a big deal, but stop there. In a month of gently washing your hair everyday... it's gone. Patience on this one... haste makes waste and can cause future problems that could take maybe months to repair instead of one.
Precious is the day... it happens only once in a lifetime.
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2003 at 11:15am
There are some really great Salon color removers that work very well on semi perm color.

I have seen some semi-perm colors last way longer than what it says on the box...especially the darker colors, I'm talkin many months here folks.

Sometimes this is good, but if you think that you may want to go lighter soon after depositing a dark semi....Its not always simple.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic