Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

bad hair cut

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dragonfly View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragonfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bad hair cut
    Posted: November 18 2002 at 11:10am
I have read some of the `bad hair cut` stories here and my question is.... Should I notify the stylist I have gone to for a year of the reason that I wont be back?
Had appt for color touch up and trim a week ago. She decided to do some different color technique on my hair, which I hated and told her so before I left. She said to give it some time and call her if I wanted it fixed. I did call her the next day and she sort of fixed the color. but all the while telling me how `pretty` it was and how `trendy`, as if I cared.
But worse, she butchered my hair! I know it cant be fixed. I dont know why she did it when I just asked for a trim. I have short, gappy layers all over. It is hideous.
I hate to lose her because she did corrective coloring after another stylist messed up the color. I was pretty much happy with her til this. I hate to try a new stylist. She kept asking me if I liked the cut when she fixed the color the next day. I told "NO" each time, and she kept saying it is real pretty.
Now it has been a week, I have tried curlers and teasing and straight , etc. It is hideous.
Time is the only answer.
But should I write to her to tell her that I wont be back?
She is a real sweet girl, but has some medical problems, and I wonder if she was on pain pills or hadnt eaten dinner and had low blood sugar as her hands were shaking while she was doing the cut.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2002 at 4:35pm
Hi Dragonfly,

I am SO sorry to hear of your experiences. However, what kind of makes me mad is how she kept trying to "talk" you into liking it! Who cares if it`s trendy or even beautiful in her opinion. YOU`RE the one who has to live with it! It`s almost as if she`s saying that you`re the one with bad taste because you don`t like it.

I completely empathize with the layers. Even when I told the stylist I was growing out my hair, he seemed to want to cut layers in. You just want to SCREAM! Fortunately, I did have some length on my hair, so I was able to cut most of the layers out, but still it`s %$#@! frustrating.

Here`s what I would do: write a diplomatic, but honest letter to her stating her feelings. I would first state the things she has done for you for which you are appreciative. But tell her that you felt that your opinion wasn`t well-respected because you were repeatedly told how much you were "supposed" to like it. If you`re at all nasty, the letter will probably be disregarded. However, if you sound like you are very sincere and are trying to help her understand why you won`t be back, hopefully, HOPEFULLY she will learn from the experience.

An "artist" in a hair show who has been given the green light to do absolutely anything on a hair model should have no complaints from the ones whose hair he cuts. However, to those of us PAYING for a service, we are the boss. Part of that service is giving their opinions, even if we don`t agree with them. But in my opinion, a huge part of that service is giving the client what SHE wants.

Well, I doubt it makes you feel much better, but you`re in good company with your bad experience!

We live and learn.

Take care,

Jennifer
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2002 at 6:54am
Hey Dragonfly-
I agree with Jennifer (above)...write a letter or an email that tells what you feel as gently and maturely as possible. It sounds like this stylist is a really sweet person who maybe just made a mistake or is having troubles of her own. While that is a reason to stop paying her for her services (it would just make things worse if you kept going out of pity for her), its no reason to be mean or anything (not that I think you would be...its just easy to get really upset about your hair not looking the way you want it, right ? :)).
Good luck with this and even better luck finding a new stylist who is right for you.
Love,
Ingrid
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic