Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

please please help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
allie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: please please help
    Posted: December 12 2002 at 7:07pm
i lightened my hair i did the strand test which was fine but when i removed the lightner my hair is almost white and like cotton wool cant go out the door any advise much apr asp how do i fix this without going to a salon as i cannot afford to
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2002 at 7:38am
Hi allie,

Oh my. That sounds awful, and while I know this isn`t what you want to hear you should really go to the salon to get your hair fixed. This experience alone should be proof enough that you shouldn`t experiment at home on your hair, so please don`t repeat the same mistake twice! What the stylist will most likely do is place a permanent color on your hair, which sounds like it has already been stripped. You can go with a lighter color or your natural shade. Just please don`t attempt this at home--I can almost guarentee you`ll spend more time (and money) getting it fixed afterwards. Good luck!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Gloria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gloria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2002 at 11:14pm
lyris is correct about you not doing more damage to your hair than you`ve already done and consult a professional. However, a professional worth anything will not put permanent color on hair already as damaged as you have described yours to be. A deposit only color to tone the hair will leave the hair in far better condition and most likely hold in the hair better.

If you choose to do it yourself, you will need to put back all the color pigment you have removed. Hair pigment is made up of three basic colors - red, blue, and yellow. Equal amounts will produce brown. If you want an ash blond you will need to add some red to the ash blond you choose. If you want a golden blonde, you will still need to add red to a golden blond color, otherwise it will be very drab. How much red depends on the actual color your hair currently is and the color you are going for.

But, whatever you decide to do, do not use a permanent color!
cath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2002 at 2:33am
Originally posted by Gloria Gloria wrote:

lyris is correct about you not doing more damage to your hair than you've already done and consult a professional. However, a professional worth anything will not put permanent color on hair already as damaged as you have described yours to be. A deposit only color to tone the hair will leave the hair in far better condition and most likely hold in the hair better.

If you choose to do it yourself, you will need to put back all the color pigment you have removed. Hair pigment is made up of three basic colors - red, blue, and yellow. Equal amounts will produce brown. If you want an ash blond you will need to add some red to the ash blond you choose. If you want a golden blonde, you will still need to add red to a golden blond color, otherwise it will be very drab. How much red depends on the actual color your hair currently is and the color you are going for.

thank you for your advise could you recomend a non permanant colour to use your advise has been very much apr
cath
cath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2002 at 2:46am
Originally posted by cath cath wrote:

lyris is correct about you not doing more damage to your hair than you've already done and consult a professional. However, a professional worth anything will not put permanent color on hair already as damaged as you have described yours to be. A deposit only color to tone the hair will leave the hair in far better condition and most likely hold in the hair better.

thank you for your advise could you recomend a non permanant colour to use your advise has been very much apr

many thanks gloria for your reply could you advise on a non per color to use i would like to go to a golden natural blond many thanks
cath
Gloria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gloria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2002 at 10:24am
Sorry, cath, I can`t recommend an over-the-counter semi-permanent hair color. Not because there aren`t some good products out there, but because I don`t use them. I have little to no knowledge of what`s on the market.

It`s difficult to offer color advice when I can`t see your current hair color or the condition of your hair. I can say that you will never get a "natural" blonde color from a bottle, not with an all-over color application. Natural hair isn`t one color, it`s a combination of hues, which is why highlighting is so popular - it looks more natural.

What color is your hair now?
cath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2002 at 9:44am

Sorry, cath, I can't recommend an over-the-counter semi-permanent hair color. Not because there aren't some good products out there, but because I don't use them. I have little to no knowledge of what's on the market.

It's difficult to offer color advice when I can't see your current hair color or the condition of your hair. I can say that you will never get a "natural" blonde color from a bottle, not with an all-over color application. Natural hair isn't one color, it's a combination of hues, which is why highlighting is so popular - it looks more natural.

What color is your hair now?

thanks again gloria, ny hair now look a very lighy yellow blond
cath
Booie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2003 at 10:15am
Originally posted by allie allie wrote:

i lightened my hair i did the strand test which was fine but when i removed the lightner my hair is almost white and like cotton wool cant go out the door any advise much apr asp how do i fix this without going to a salon as i cannot afford to

Hello ....wow....sounds like it prosessed to long ...problem is once the cutical is blown out ....its hard to keep new coler in ya get alot of fading or will grab the base when ya put it on ...a filler will help but problem is ya need a beautician its a big problem ...hun and if ya threw coler over its gonna grab specialy if it feel that bad .....im sorry conditoning balm from matrix and insticure (a leave in condishonar ) realy do work and not a waste of money to help get your hair soft and on its way to good agen .......will help it from braking and calm it some till ya find help
Booie
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2003 at 12:39pm
I`m going to add; Protein, Protein...And more Protein, no moisture. In the Salon we have literally stopped hair from breaking off (we do many color corrections) with Redken`s CAT protein. Please if you can`t afford anything else, pick up some CAT and get that hair strengthened and reconditioned.

If you came in for correction, this is the first thing we would do, this will also help any future color stay in your hair.

I totally agree with Gloria, no permanent color, it would damage further and wouldn`t stay in your hair.
Booie is right about the grabbing and fading thing this is a big job for a trained experienced Colorist, so if you go the salon route (which is what we are all reccomending), find a salon that specializes in C/L Correction. :) Best of luck let us know how its going. You should be able to find CAT almost anywhere.:)
caro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2003 at 8:00am
sorry to hear this happened. I also had this problem a few years ago and was able to "save" my hair. I used a very good concitioner to help restore it and I let the damaged part grow out and yes, it was awful for a while but it was for the best, any more processing or coloring maybe will lead to fall out and stuff ans that`s even worse.

good luck
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic