Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ahhh! orange hair! Please help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JLewallen31 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLewallen31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ahhh! orange hair! Please help!
    Posted: January 14 2003 at 12:17am
Help, I`ve turned my medium to dark brown hair to orange! How can I dye it back? Can I use a medium or dark brown color to cover it... or what would be the best approach? Appreciate your time!
caro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2003 at 3:40am
I think the best thing to do is go to a styliste to fix this, same thing happened to me but mine was yellow. Maybe zou can try to put auburn over the orange, then you`ll probably have a rich auburn tone.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2003 at 7:59am
Yes, you are infiinitely better off going to a salon and having a professional fix the problem. I did the same thing as you during my sophomore year in college. What a mistake. Our hair is simply too dark to dye light brown/blond with a single-step process. You would need to first bleach it (remove the natural color) then put a toner (lighter color) on top--but DO NOT attempt this at home; you are almost guarenteed disaster. Brown hair has natural reddish highlights that become apparent when you attempt to lighten it using a single-step dye. The dye alone cannot lift your color all the way to light brown/blond and therefore stops at red.

You are FAR better off going to a salon and having a colorist match your natural color with an artificial one. Trying to do it yourself just judging by the pictures on the dye boxes is next to impossible. You will have better luck just spending the extra cash and getting it done right. Good luck!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Aish View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2003 at 3:43pm
I did the same exact thing and now I am so depressed!!! (SIGH). I thought if I bleach my natural medium brown hair lighter all I would have to do is put on a light brown. Boy, was I wrong. I bleached my entire head! And ended up with a light orange. It is so ugly so unnatural, Hideous. I wanted to cry, It is hard for me to sleep at night knowing that I damaged my hair and cant get it back to its natural color. I want to cover over it with a darker color but am not sure if it is safe. I don’t want to go to a salon because the only one that is in my town is full of gossiping hairdressers. The last time I was in there they were talking really bad about the lady who had just left. I know they will just laugh at me. I am so humiliated. So if there is anyone out there that knows what to do, how to fix it please reply. I don’t see why a darker color wouldn’t work, what would happen?
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2003 at 7:24pm
Really?? You only have one salon in your town?

Look in the yellow pages...maybe there is stylist that is an IC or works on her/his own??
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2003 at 10:01pm
Ditto Sophie

Please check your yellow pages and find another salon. If anyone in a salon EVER laughs at you over something like this, just turn on your heels and hit the door. No one has the right to ridicule you in any matter. Besides, ALL of us hairstylist has a long history of doing crazy things to our own hair
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
dingojunction View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingojunction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2003 at 11:12pm
Yeah I would be pretty peeved if a hairdresser laughed at me! I would walk out without a second thought!! I pay a pretty penny to get haircoloring services done and if they DARED to laugh at me well lets just say they wouldnt have a very good reputation after I got done with them!!!!
wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2003 at 12:10pm
Check out "bleached hair fixed" (the thread just below this one). And good luck to both of you. Keep in mind that what works for another doesn't always work for everyone. For various and obvious reasons.

Please let us know how it goes...
Precious is the day... it happens only once in a lifetime.
reyna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reyna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2003 at 12:16pm
I used Clairol Natural Instincts (level 2 haircolor) in medium ash brown--really helped to tone orange color.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic