Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hair dye on sale... bad idea!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hair dye on sale... bad idea!
    Posted: November 22 2004 at 2:51pm
first a brief history. my hair is pretty healthy since i don't blow dry, style, or curl, but i have highlighted it a couple times. my original hair color is between a medium and dark brown (not golden or ash, just plain brown i think)

so i dyed my hair last night. to what was supposed to be just a medium brown and it turned auburn. i want it to be normal medium brown (no red). so should i:

1. use a color remover kit from sally etc. and then dye it the color i want.
or
2. just wait a few weeks and then dye it again but with a medium ash brown to counter the red.

i'm concerned that the first option would leave me with orange hair. and i know i should leave it to a professional but i just don't have the money or know anyone here that's good even if i did.

also once this is all over and i am back to a medium brown color (no red), if i highlight it later on will the red still show up and make my hair orangey until it all grows out?

thank you!
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 6:33pm
Hi Jane What did you use?

Read it off of the box if you haven't tossed it already.

And how light do you think it is...now.
Is it pretty much all one color?
or is the base lighter ...reder...than the ends?

What color are the Hlts now..that were in you hair
before the color you applied.

Cheers Sophie
Jane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2004 at 10:19am
i used feria (by l'oreal) #58 bronze shimmer

my hair is between a medium and dark auburn. it's a little darker than the picture posted next to your response and a little less red. it's pretty uniform, maybe a bit darker underneath where there was no highlighting. the roots are a bit redder (from the heat on my head i think)

i just want it to be brown again because i am half asian and i have green undertones to my skin and the hint of red completely washes me out.

ps do you think the color went wrong because it may have expired, thus the sale?

thank you so much,
jane
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2004 at 8:31pm
Hi Jane...No, I think that Bronze sounds like a warm color to begin with and when you add 20 volume peroxide (developer)...You get lift on your own natural brown and Voila' you get some red.

That's my best guess anyway...not being familiar with Feria colors.

If you could be a little darker and tone out most of the red would that be good??

You don't want to be lighter do you?

If you don;t mind being darker...I would stick with a deposit only color like Natural Instincts...

Stay away from the warm colors choose a natural or neutral... pick the color you think would be perfect and then go with the next lightest color.no yellow browns either.

If it's not quite dark enough go with the next darker color. No damage basically you get your shine back and in 4 or 5 weeks you can do it again...if need be.

I think that the colors that are on sale are the colors that didn't sell to the average person...hence your bronze...ruddy red brown[
Jane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2004 at 9:06am
I would prefer to be a little lighter than i am right now actually if possible. if you think it would be safer to just go darker then i'll definitely do that, but if possible i'm already darker than what i'm used to and i'm pretty sure it's a bit darker than my original color although i'm also pale as a ghost this time of year.

so should i still try natural instincts? i looked on clairol's website and i'd like to be like 20
Hazelnut - Medium Brown, so should i use that or use one lighter like 13 Suede - Light Brown. or if i go lighter do i need some ash to counter the red? ( like 14 Tweed - Light Ash Brown or 24 Clove - Medium Ash Brown)

thank you so much again by the way, not to be cliche or overdramatic but you're a real life-saver

Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2004 at 2:50pm
Hi Jane...The light ash brown sounds like a first good step...BUT you WILL be DARKER if you are trying to get rid of the red this way.

The reason I even brought it up is that it's the easiest way to do it at home (not that I necessarily advocate that, I wish that you would choose to go to a great colorist).

IF you want to be lighter and get rid of the red I really can't advise that you try it yourself, only because I know how complicated it can be.

I will give you some tips on what NOT to do if you decide to try lightening yourself.

1. Color DOES NOT lighten color, so simply applying a blonde color like Lt. Ash Blonde will not work. You will simply end up with more damage & possibly an uneven muddy appearance.

2. If you choose to use a color remover or bleach, you will end up with a bright color that you will have to deal with...Gold...orange or best case scenario yellow. It is VERY HARD to lighten everything and remove color and have it even.

Not to mention the damage you can cause with these products...I was a Stylist and doing color for a very long time before I attempted color removal alone.

I don't know where you want to go from here but I hope this helps.
jane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2004 at 10:36am
thanks again for your help. if you didn't feel comfortable lightening hair for years i'm definitely not going to do it myself. the red is fading into more of a brunette color so i think i'll just rough this one out instead of going darker. my only question is, if i choose later to do highlights again, will the red show up again and make them orange? would i need to dye it that ash color first in order to prevent that? or should i not at all trust myself and save up for a professional later on down the line and just warn them about this auburn incident.

thanks,
jane
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2004 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by jane jane wrote:

thanks again for your help. if you didn't feel comfortable lightening hair for years i'm definitely not going to do it myself. the red is fading into more of a brunette color so i think i'll just rough this one out instead of going darker. my only question is, if i choose later to do highlights again, will the red show up again and make them orange? would i need to dye it that ash color first in order to prevent that? or should i not at all trust myself and save up for a professional later on down the line and just warn them about this auburn incident.

thanks,
jane

Hi jane...
I was comfortable lightening hair, It's removing color that I was refering to. There is a difference...simply highlighting or bleaching someone as opposed to removing artificial color completely and then getting the hair back to a normal looking color using artificial color.

If you choose to highlight yes the red is there but bleach through it until you get rid of the red...AND Then you may have to tone....Please make sure your hair is in good enough condition to Highlight. Do a STRAND TEST...see how much red is there and how long you have to leave the bleach on to get past it.

AND REMEMBER...color does NOT lighten color. The ash color over the red before you highlight does not get rid of the red...it would still be under there.

I really would love to see you find a great colorist to get you through this
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic