Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone heard of a Japanese relaxer?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CurlyLauren View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CurlyLauren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone heard of a Japanese relaxer?
    Posted: August 01 2000 at 9:25pm
They offer them at many salons in CA, and a few in NY. They're a thio-based relaxer, very gentle (supposedly) and are intended to eliminate the frizzyness/coarseness that some Japanese hair has and curlyheads have. I've talked to like 5 ppl who have gotten them, and they love them. It can make your hair less frizzy and retain some curl, or take it almost straight depending on what you want. Anyways have any of you heard of it or tried it? Thanks!
fletcher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2000 at 2:33pm
I had the Japanese relaxer done about 5 years ago, when it first started being written about in NYC. It took a very long tme to put in (they flatten your hair out on plastic "boards" after applying the relaxer), it was very expensive (I did go somewhere kind of fancy), and it did not get my hair (which only qualifies as wavy) extremely straight. It did make it pretty soft, and relatively "frizz-less" - but I would not go through the trouble or the expense for such moderate results again. I have been hearing about a new relaxer made by a company called Phytospecific, that is supposed to cause very little damadge and have excellent straigtneing results. So far, I 'm hearing mixed things - but you ought to try and find out about it if you haven't already tried the Japanese stuff. Good Luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic