Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP! Perm gone bad!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dAisyRae View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dAisyRae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP! Perm gone bad!
    Posted: October 06 2000 at 5:47pm
I have a long history of bad hair! I have most of my hair highlighted over the summer, and then for some god awful reason I decided that I wanted a perm. Well, it's not good. I can never get it to curl without being frizzy and the underneath is much curlier than the top and by my face. It is absolutely awful and I'm about ready to shave my whole head! I cry all the time just because I'm so frusterated with it... Please offer any suggestions to help me get through this mess. My hair is so ruined!
Elle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2000 at 1:16am
I offer my sympathy, I got my hair permed last summer and was glad for a change, but many months later my hair is showing how bady the perm damaged it. First of all, you have to wait. To minimize damage, I suggest you stay away from blow dryers, curling irons or any other styling device that uses heat or at least reduce how much you use them. Protein restructuring treatments (good for rebuilding the hair shaft after damage from chemicals) like Joico's K-pak have gotten several rave reviews here at Hair Boutique. But overuse of these can dry your hair out further, so be careful to follow directions. Frequent hot oil treatments with oils such as olive and jojoba can really help with hair breakage (a big problem lately with me, after trying olive oil one time I feel much improved - my hair no longer cracks horribly when I run my hands through it and it's softer as well). Never, ever brush your hair when it's wet, when it's most fragile. Moisturizing hair treatments can pretty much be used as often as you see fit.

I know you feel terrible now, but please don't do anything drastic, you could regret it later. To help with frizziness, try applying a leave-in conditioner after washing your hair, while it's still wet. That should help weigh the strands down and reduce "fluffiness". You might also trim your ends to help your hair grow out more quickly. There are many, many products on the market designed to help your hair recover. Always be very gentle with your hair, and wait for it to heal a bit before deciding to lop it off. You may have changed your mind by then.

I know how intensely frustrating it is when you're unsatisfied with your appearance, or something's gone wrong. I hope you find even a little solace in this post!
~Elle
scarlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2000 at 12:34pm
Hi, I know the feeling. I had a perm in Feb. and it is still going strong! unfortunately. You might want to try some of the hair serums that are on the market(zero frizz, or frizz ease are a couple of good ones). Good luck!
Scarlett
Precious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Precious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2000 at 1:12pm
I suggest that you use Nexxus Humentress (sp) That is a good leave in. Also Ouidads Botanical Boost..spray that after washing your hair and before combing it out. Also keep up with the trims..although that does not encourage hair growth as stated in an earlier response it does cut down on the damage. Good Luck!
Precious
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic