Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A New HOW??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
qtfairy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qtfairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A New HOW??
    Posted: December 26 2001 at 1:45pm
Does anyone know how to get straight hair without using any straightening irons or chemicals. The other girl got good help to get curly hair without a curling iron, so can you help me get straight hair? Thanks
Budokan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budokan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2001 at 9:11am
Reply to message: 9.933.1
Here`s how: * Wash and condition hair. * Blot dry. Hair should be almost dry when you begin. A good product to use is Smoothing Lotion by Edwin Paul (sold on this site).* Gather up hair into several sections and secure or clip hair on top of your head. You will be drying the bottom layers first. * Follow the brush (with your dryer) down the sections of hair as you straighten each section and be sure to keep the dryer moving. * Take down a new section of hair and proceed as above. * Work your way up the layers until all sections are dried and straightened. * To curl the ends for a polished look, take your brush and pull the ends under. Finish your styling with a blast of cool air if your hairdryer has this capability. Tips: * Be sure to condition your hair often. Sun, cold temperatures plus the use of your hair dryer can be hard on your hair. * For best results, use products formulated for your hair type. It does make a difference. And use products that are healthy for your hair. * Give your hair a break and allow it to dry naturally as often as possible or apply a thermal protector before you dry your hair. * Have split ends snipped every six weeks to two months to ensure that they don`t travel up the hair shaft. *Strengthening hair with vitamins and botanical extracts can protect hair from breakage which results in dull lifeless hair. If you like natural haircare products, check out http://www.healthyhairplus.com/products.htm You could also use very large Velcro rollers and roll each section of hair up in them and then let it dry naturally. This method works well and is probably the least harsh to the hair but it takes longer. The rollers will also tend to curl up then ends of the hair slightly, but if that is not the look you desire you could use the round brush and blow dry them straight out. Finish off with a hair wax or polish to protect the hair and make it look shiny. Hope this helps and good luck! :)
qtfairy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qtfairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2001 at 3:04pm
Reply to message: 9.933.1
Thanks for the reply, but I already knew about using the blow drier. I wanted to know if there was a way to get my hair straight without using a straightening iron, or a blow drier. Thanks again.
Budokan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budokan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2001 at 3:55pm
Reply to message: 9.935.1
Oops. Sorry qtfairy, I missed the blow drier part. Assuming the large rollers part is not an option, it is possible to use a perm to straighten hair. However, this method is tedious and time consuming. The lotion would be applied and then the stylist would comb your hair straight for the length of the timing. Sometimes up to 20 minutes. This method should only be used on hair that has a slight wave to it. However, it is more gentle then relaxing. I have worked with too many women that have wrecked their hair with a relaxer to recommend one. There is also the "Reverse Perm"; a technique to that uses rods to reset tightly curled hair into a looser, more manageable curl pattern. You can temporarily straighten your hair using braids. Take a shower in the evening and work some anti-frizz styling lotion throughout towel-dried hair. Pull your hair tight at the nape of your neck and tie it in a hair elastic. Then braid your ponytail while hair is still damp and secure it again with an elastic at the bottom. Leave hair in the braid overnight and in the morning when you take it out it will be in smooth waves. You can smooth it even more with a styling lotion or cream if you wish. Right now, the straightening buzz is the Yuko system (sometimes called the "straight perm"). I have read some articles about it and seen some remarkable before and after pictures. Unfortunately, there are few salons that do the procedure. You can read about it and see a flash movie at http://www.straightperm.com . Did this help??
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2001 at 5:58pm
Hi Budokan,

Thank you for all your info. It was so helpful and very accurate.

I would also like to suggest to qtfairy that they consider either the Rusk or Phyto relaxer kits. They are both very gentle and can be used at home and will help keep hair much straighter (until the relaxer formula fades after several weeks) and curlers will do the trick.

It is very hard to get hair straight w/out a blow dryer. I have naturally wavy/curly hair and I have never been able to accomplish a super straight look w/out the blowdryer, my paddle brush and yes, I do use the Edwin Paul Smoothing.

Thanks again.
Best wishes,
Karen
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Budokan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budokan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2001 at 10:20am
Reply to message: 9.937.1
Hi Karen.

Thanks for the info on the Phyto relaxer kit, I did not know they made one. I like all of their products and will pass on your recommendation to anyone that asks. My past experience with relaxers has been somewhat spotty and I find that most are quite harsh. Nice to know a gentle natural one is on the market. I too find the large rollers (I like the magnetic ones best for smoothing) works very well without damage as well as letting the hair grow (weight relaxes the curl a bit). Perhaps the blow dryer, brush, and Edwin Paul Smoothing will always be with us.

I want to tell you how much I like your forum. The articles are informative and the message board is terrific for exchanging information and tips. You do a wonderful job and it is much appreciated.

Happy New Year!!
Terry Valentine View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Valentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2002 at 7:01pm
The easiest way I`ve found to straighten my hair or keep it straight is to tie it into a ponytail on top of my head overnight. It has to be dry first, though, or you will have a deep crease in your hair in the morning. Use a scrunchie or something that won`t pull on your hair, but it has to be tight enough to keep your hair pulled straight - you`ll find a balance after a few tries. Bend over and brush or pick it out first, then gather it up and tie it, looping the end of the ponytail back into the scrunchie so that it will be straight to the ends. You may need to touch it up a little bit with curling iron in the morning, but this will take care of 95% of the curl at least. Of course, it`s only temporary, but it gives me a nice straight head of hair for a day - if it`s not too humid outside! Hope this helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic