Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Clueless guy needs hair care/straightening advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Clueless guy needs hair care/straightening advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WildCurls View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildCurls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clueless guy needs hair care/straightening advice
    Posted: November 11 2002 at 8:55pm
Hello all,

Just got out of the military a few months ago, and have finally been able to grow my hair out! Unfortunately, my curls are way out of control, and I`m going to straighten them.

Lisa Castillo`s article has me sold on Phytospecific Phytorelaxer. Many of you will think I`m crazy, but as I guy I feel wierd about going into a salon to get my hair relaxed. So, rather than going to some random hair dresser, I`d rather take a shot at doing it myself.

Okay, long story short. What do I need in addition to the basic relaxing kit. Lisa mentioned an application brush and wide toothed comb. Anything else?

Secondly, as women I have no idea how you keep up with all the products out there. After relaxing should I be using leave-in conditioner? Is towel drying my hair good enough? Am I making this too complicated?

WC
Darin View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2002 at 7:27am
Hi,

My advice to you is to pay the cash, go to a salon and have your hair straightened. Personally, I don`t think people should do perms or relaxers at home because they are really strong chemicals and you can really damage your hair.

Also, if you go to the salon, the stylist might be able to give you some advice on how to control your curls or even a style that could enhance the curl. There are also salons out there which either specialize in curly hair or have a stylist on staff which specializes in curly hair.

And don`t feel weird about going to a salon to get your hair relaxed....hair is hair.

Good luck!

Darin
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2002 at 10:34am
Hey! I agree with Darin (above)- go to a professional. Curly hair is great but its unpredicatable & you don`t want to mess around with chemicals & stuff on your own.
Good luck to ya!
Ingrid
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2002 at 11:48am
Sure you can DIY. It s easy once you get the hang of it. I mean I `m a guy and I have curly hair and I have it relaxed DIY. I mean if you get it wrong which very hard to do jus cut it off. Its a luxury most men have. Other than comb and brush, get a big hand held mirror, so that you can see what happens in the back of your head. Do it shirtless so that you wont ruin it. Make sure you have proper ventilation. Ammonia really stinks you know. Have a stopwatch to see development time. Have a good book or listen to your fave music as the development time passes. But most important read the directions OK. Once you get the hang of it you know how to control that curls. Hey I so good now, my freinds are asking me to relax their hair. GOOD LUCK :)
ARGHH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic