Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Clueless guy, part 2. Liz_naz please help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WildCurls View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildCurls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clueless guy, part 2. Liz_naz please help
    Posted: December 01 2002 at 1:02pm
Just a follow-up to my last thread with the hope that I`ll get a few more replies.

I relaxed my own hair with phyto and found it to be very dominant. Easy and effective without really frying my hair.

Now my challenge, which I defer to liz and the many other helpful posters to this list, is what to do out of the shower in terms of blow drying, leave-in conditioner, heat-activated straightener, etc.
The ends of my hair are curling up a bit which is why I thought blow drying or some similar solution (ironing???) might help. My hair is now about 4 inches long.

I`ve also read towel drying the hair will exacerbate any curls so I`ve restrained from doing that. Please share your thoughts on whether this is true or not.

Many thanks in advance for all your help.
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2002 at 10:52am
Well my stylist told me not to use the blow drier or any heat activated product set on the hot tempature. Well its better if you stay clear of any heat activated product. The hair is still fragile and it needs a few days before it is strong again. I think its something about getting some oxigen in the hair. Air drying is better. But if you must blow dry your hair make sure you use a heat protecting product. I`m sure your stylist can recomend a good product. Leave in conditioner are great to use so use them. But I was wondering could you use the leave in conditoner then use gels or waxed on top of it. Maybe some other readers can help. Well sad to say that relaxing your hair by conventional means doest really make it straight. It will still leave a little wavyness to the hair. If you really want board straight hair, you should have done the Japanese ionic straightning procedure. Its the same as normal relaxing procedure except they use hot and i mean hot!!!!!! ceramic straightners. Its hotter than boiling water. And the procedure takes at least 3 hours. But if you had board straight hair there will be no bounce no life, unless you want totally straight hair its cool. You could either apply the relaxers again but this time reducing its strength. i`m not sure how but i heard by adding conditioners to the relaxers mixture. Or just iron it every other day. But all of this will literally kill the hair. I know I had my hair relaxed 5 times in 2 months coloured it 3 times also. What I got was very very dry fried hay looking hair. I means it was fine after a deep on conditioning treatment with I did twice a day. Finally I had it cut off. Relaxers abuse.... gee i wonder if there is a club for this. Ok straight to the main point. Towel drying doest exaxerbate curls. Did you wash you r hair after relaxing it. Its best that you dont wet it for at least 2 days after you relaxed it and dont wash it after 4 days relaxing it. The rebonding process is still not finished thats why you got curls. Well hope you will get something out of this post :)
ARGHH
liz_nazz View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liz_nazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2002 at 3:03pm
sorry in the lateless of my reply...

ermmm the towel drying bit....yeah if you rub too hard you will damage your hair...not just curly hair - any hair.
better just to pat your hair dry.

As with the blowdrying... erm the best thing to do is....
apply either serum, mousse or straightening balm to your hair when damp (any brand will do)
then wait til your hair is completely 100% dry: this is crucial as if you blowdry your hair when wet, it can get more frizzier...and therefore is not as good a job than if your hair was blowdried when dry :)

then when dry take section by section and blowdry your hair, aiming the heat of the hairdryer downwards on the hair shaft.

now, when you`ve finished b;lowdrying your hair it may be a tiny bit frizzy yeah, so what u do yeah is take abit of hair balm/pomade (the best one i use is john frieda`s sheer blonde styling pomade, its brilliant :D) yer, so take abit of this pomade yeah, rub a little in your hands, and then tip your head upside down, taking all your hair in your hands as if you are about to tie in a ponytail, then twist and rub the pomade off onto your hair.

this is also crucial to do as it sets the style and adds definition. you can get several small sections of your hair, and working with tiny amounts of pomade, drag down at your hair...leaving poker straight bits :)

hope this helped, and if not, hope someone else is able to give you better advice :P
liz_nazz View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liz_nazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2002 at 3:03pm
sorry in the lateless of my reply...

ermmm the towel drying bit....yeah if you rub too hard you will damage your hair...not just curly hair - any hair.
better just to pat your hair dry.

As with the blowdrying... erm the best thing to do is....
apply either serum, mousse or straightening balm to your hair when damp (any brand will do)
then wait til your hair is completely 100% dry: this is crucial as if you blowdry your hair when wet, it can get more frizzier...and therefore is not as good a job than if your hair was blowdried when dry :)

then when dry take section by section and blowdry your hair, aiming the heat of the hairdryer downwards on the hair shaft.

now, when you`ve finished b;lowdrying your hair it may be a tiny bit frizzy yeah, so what u do yeah is take abit of hair balm/pomade (the best one i use is john frieda`s sheer blonde styling pomade, its brilliant :D) yer, so take abit of this pomade yeah, rub a little in your hands, and then tip your head upside down, taking all your hair in your hands as if you are about to tie in a ponytail, then twist and rub the pomade off onto your hair.

this is also crucial to do as it sets the style and adds definition. you can get several small sections of your hair, and working with tiny amounts of pomade, drag down at your hair...leaving poker straight bits :)

hope this helped, and if not, hope someone else is able to give you better advice :P
WildCurlz (not so much anymore ; ) View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildCurlz (not so much anymore ; ) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2002 at 3:06pm
Thanks to you both for the help as it has be a HUGE difference in the way my hair looks and acts.

My last question is, is it okay to add a leave-in conditioner along with a straightening balm or is that just too much for the hair? I`ve been using potion #9 with great effects.

Thanks again for all the help.
liz_nazz View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liz_nazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2002 at 7:06am
Originally posted by WildCurlz (not so much anymore ; ) WildCurlz (not so much anymore ; ) wrote:

Thanks to you both for the help as it has be a HUGE difference in the way my hair looks and acts.

My last question is, is it okay to add a leave-in conditioner along with a straightening balm or is that just too much for the hair? I've been using potion #9 with great effects.

Thanks again for all the help.

i dont know what potion #9 is... (never heard of it, im from the UK)

but yes, its perfectly fine to use leave in conditioner with straightening balm :)

it only becomes too much when you start mixing a 2 different serums, or 2 different mousses, or... yknow, about 4 different products :)

glad ur hair`s going fine :P
and hope this helps
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic