Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What does this mean???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Molly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What does this mean???
    Posted: February 17 2003 at 2:53pm
What does relaxed hair mean? I was on a curly hair website and someone said that there hair was curly when it was wet but straight when it was dry. Well thats how it is for me.Ne ways the girl didn't want the hair dresser to put a relaxer in her hair. What is a relaxer?
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2003 at 3:02pm
Hi Molly,

A "relaxer" is a chemical process that makes curly hair straighter. It does cause damage, as the chemicals used are alkaline (high pH.) This expands the hair shaft, allowing the agents to get inside the cuticle and rearrange the disulfide bonds that hold the hair's curly texture in place. The result is straighter hair. I hope this helps!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Molly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2003 at 3:16pm
hey thanks for the info. it really helped.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic