Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Perm too culry...Relaxing kit?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
emj2222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emj2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perm too culry...Relaxing kit?
    Posted: July 12 2004 at 8:35pm
Hello.
I just got a perm today. I have had one in the past and they used the regular traditional way of doing it. Since then my hair has grown a lot longer so they did a spiral perm on me. With my old perm I would comb it while I was still in the shower and then when I got out just gently dry so that my curls were thicker rather than many stringy curls. I can't do that now and I was wondering if it was because they did spiral curls v.s. the regular horizontal perm. Also, it is a little too culry. What can I do to relax the curls? I wanted more of a curly/wave rather than Shirley Temple curls. I was considering buying a curl reducer kit but I dont want to act too fast. Is there anything I can do to make them softer before going out and purchasing a kit?
Thanks
frizzygurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frizzygurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2004 at 1:35pm
Umm, yeah, a spiral is a very tight perm. i would not use a relaxer on your hair so soon after perming it. Some of those kits are really harsh on hair, even hair that's healthy so imagine what it could do to your freshly chemically treated hair!

Your spriral perm will loosen a bit over the next few weeks. but in the meantime, there are a few things you can do to help. After washing, gently squeeze excess water out and after applying product, don't scrunch your hair, it should "spring up" itself. Let it airdry a while. while you are blowdrying on a LOW setting, point your dryer downwards, gently take sections at the end and "pull" your curls a bit. This will "stretch" your curls a bit and make them a little looser.

If you still can't figure out what to do, ask your hairstylist!
CO wash only since September '04! Dyed red botticelli curls (3b), fine and just past shoulder length
emj222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emj222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2004 at 5:18pm
okay thanks I will try that, but I was also wondering if the reason I have so many small separate strands is because I got a sprial perm rather than the regular kind? Is there any way to get thicker strands rather than a bunch of stringy strands?
frizzygurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frizzygurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2004 at 10:10am
Yup, you're right on the money. A spiral prem uses really small rods - thus your small curls. You could either reshape your curls each time you wash by using some type of velcro or sponge rollers and allow hair to dry on them or use large hot rollers or a large barreled curling iron when dry. Maybe someone else will have some ideas on how to help remedy this cuz i'm all out of ideas.

Good luck!
CO wash only since September '04! Dyed red botticelli curls (3b), fine and just past shoulder length
emj222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emj222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2004 at 4:03pm
Ughh my hair seems to do everything BUT what I want it to. I tried the rollers and it just didnt look right. My hair is really damged right now but I want to either get it relaxed or a new perm that I actually like because I am going off to college this fall and I really wanted "shower and go" hair. As of right now I have to straighten it everyday so it seems like I might as well do something even if it damamges it a little (since thats what I am already having to do anyways). What are my options without doing a great deal of damamge? And when should I do that. My new perm is only 6 days old.
CURLYJO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CURLYJO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2004 at 3:00pm
PLEASE GIVE YOUR HAIR MORE TIME TO RELAX. I HAVE NATURALLY CURLY HAIR AND HAVEN'T HAD A PERM IN MY NEWLY GROWN SHOULDER LENGTH HAIR FOR MORE THAN 5 YEARS. TWO WEEKS AGO I DECIDED TO HAVE MY HAIR PERMED. WHEN I FIRST SAW THE TIGHT CURLS AND THE FRIZZ, I ALMOST CRIED.
I HATED IT, SHE USED THE LARGEST RODS SHE HAD, AFTER I INSISTED SEVERAL TIMES. BUT SHE USED A DIFFRENT SIZE ON THE TOP OF MY HEAD. NEEDLESS TO SAY - IT WAS A HORROR TO BEHOLD. FOR THE FIRST WEEK I DEBATED RELAXING MY HAIR , BUT I FOUND THIS WEB PAGE AND AFTER READING THE BLOOPERS, I DECIDED TO WAIT. WHAT A DIFFRENCE TWO WEEKS MAKES. I HAVE USED THE LOWEST SETTING ON THE DRYER AND USED TONS OF CONDITIONER AND INCLUDED A LEAVE IN CONDITIONER INTO MY ROUTINE. MY HAIR HAS BEGUN TO RELAX AND THE CURLS ARE MUCH SOFTER AND ALOT MORE NATURAL LOOKING.
HANG IN THERE FOR ANOTHER WEEK - JUST PULL YOUR HAIR INTO A PONY TAIL AND DON'T FUSS WITH IT. AFTER ANOTHER WEEK, YOU WILL BEGIN TO SEE A BIG DIFFRENCE.
DON'T DO SOMETHING YOU'LL REGRET IN THE FUTURE. RELAXING IS NOT SOMETHING THAT ONE SHOULD DO ON A WHIM.
GOD GAVE ME CURLY HAIR,
MAN GAVE ME THE PRODUCTS TO TAME IT,
BUT I GAVE MYSELF THE COURAGE TO WEAR IT.
emj222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emj222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2004 at 8:38pm
okay thanks... yeah i was debating if it would be a good idea or not. They have begun to relax a little bit so im sure by the time i go off to college they will be natural enough for me to actually wear instead of hide!
ECOSTRAIGHT View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ECOSTRAIGHT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2004 at 11:47am
I HAVE GREAT NEWS FOR YOU!!! CHECK OUT THIS WEB SITE, HTTP://WWW.ECOSTRAIGHT.COM YOU WON'T REGRET IT, THE NEWEST AND BEST HAIR STRAIGHTENING SYSTEM YET!!! CHECK OUT THIS WEBSITE OR CALL THIS NUMBER FOR MORE INFORMATION, GET BEAUTIFUL HAIR TODAY!!! 1-800-630-1080 OR ONCE AGAIN HTTP://WWW.ECOSTRAIGHT.COM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic