Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Naturally Curly Hair Losing its Curl

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Danielle2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielle2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Naturally Curly Hair Losing its Curl
    Posted: August 10 2004 at 7:06pm
I have, or had, naturally curl hair. Each hair is fine but I have lots of them. Over the past 4 years my hair has been gradually going straight.

I have been under huge amounts of stress over the past four years and went through menopause in my early 40''s. Can this be the cause? I''m healthy and not on any prescription medications. I hate it, I want my curly hair back!
nonnymous View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nonnymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 10:40am
I wish i had this problem!!!
frizzygurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frizzygurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 10:58am
Your recent hormonal changes could definately be the cause. i know some women that lost some curl definition after having a baby. (changes in hormones) I've been losing some curl as well, i'm in my early 20's and can only attribute it to hormone changes.

But, there could be another reason your curls are pulling out. Some hair, especially curly, does not do well with certain products with 'cones (like silicone) and some curls hate added proteins. It could very well be the products you're using, from your shampoo down to your gel or mousse. What kind of hair texture do you have, fine or coarse? Dry or oily? short or long? layers or not?
CO wash only since September '04! Dyed red botticelli curls (3b), fine and just past shoulder length
Danielle2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielle2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 5:48pm
Hi Frizzygurl,

In answer to your questions. My hair is fine but I have a lot of it. It is dry and I use moisturing shampoo and conditioner. I don't use gel or mousse, finger comb it in the shower and never blow dry. My hair is a little past my shoulders and all one length. A couple of years ago I had layers and it didn't make a difference.
michelle77777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michelle77777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 11:40pm
I would also try using a moisturizer with the microhaircap cordless heatcap. I use it regularly with a plastic cap and it works like a steam cap so it's moisturizing my scalp..The other girl was right that your shampoo could be causing your hair to fall out..that happens to me when i try different shampoo's,,,i really do think that salon products are the best...ps. i saw on the web that the microhaircap is having a sale,,2for15..i'm thinking for the holidays,,good luck,,
frizzygurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frizzygurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2004 at 8:57am
I have curly but fine dry hair as well and it is especially hard to find products that moisturize but won't weight down your curls too much. i use Biolage shampoo for color-treated hair. As a less expensive alternative, a lot of curlies use Dove shampoo and conditioner. It's moisturizing but lightweight.

If you want to boost your curls, you might try a light product for that extra oomph! This is a site with products made for curlies by a curlie. All of the products are lightweight and almost completely natraul; i would reccomend one of the first 3 listed for boosting your curls.
http://www.jessicurl.com/

CO wash only since September '04! Dyed red botticelli curls (3b), fine and just past shoulder length
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic