Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

shud i go for a relaxer??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mizz roxy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizz roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shud i go for a relaxer??
    Posted: August 16 2004 at 9:50am
hi, i am 13 years old and i have tight curls although its quite fine. i reli hate my hair so i straighten my hair most of the time now but it takes a long time and i am worried about damaging my hair. i wouldnt mind if i had wavy hair as then i could have the option of straightening using irons (which would take less time) and i could leave it natural from time to time. Chemicals are very expensive and i want to know would it be a good idea to get a relaxer or do they damage your hair. i have also heard that after the process grows out ur hair is even more curly!
plez help!! wud be very much appreciated.
luv mizz roxy
mizz roxy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizz roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2004 at 10:03am
ps. my hair has already been highlighted a few times.
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2004 at 7:15pm
Every day I read about people who are unhappy with their hair, and they try to make it something that it isn't. I hope you grow to like your curls because they sound very beautiful. Relaxer treatments, like any chemical treatments, damage hair all the way to the core... ESPECIALLY when you have fine hair! that's why I am not an advocate of chemical treatments at all. Please please love your hair! Better yet, if you grow longer, it will stretch out the curls with its weight.

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
pharrell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pharrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2005 at 12:47pm
i think you should not relax your hair it will damage your hair and you will have no moister so stick to flat ironing
Tiramisu2c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiramisu2c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2005 at 10:36am
I had my hair relaxed when I was 12 or 13 (I'm 20 now) and then again when I was 17.  The first time, I did not like it.  It was actually called (Straightening) and I was upset, because no one told me that it would not completely straighten my hair.  It was also very drying.   They ordered me to use Paul Mitchell's shampoo and conditioner for chemically treated hair, and I remember hating it because it smalled like carrots.  LOL, I don't know, that was a while ago.  Since then, I do believe they have modified their chemicals, because I liked it a lot the second time I got it done.
The next time I got it done, it was called a relaxer.  I really liked this.  It was expensive, but it really did calm down the curls, eliminated most of the frizz, made styling a snap, and didn't ravage my hair.  It did not last all that long though, but that was OK for me because by the time my hair had started to curl again, I was missing my curls.  (only about 2 or 3 months I think)
As long as you deep condition a couple times a week, it should be fine.  I did not find that it damaged my hair at all.  I'm sure it did, but I didn't feel it. 
How curly is your hair?  Mine was almost ringlets/banana curls, and it became almost lightly crimpy after the relaxing.

OH ONE MORE THING - Keep in mind that when I did mine the first time, it was virgin hair (this was the one i did not like).  But when I got it relaxed the 2nd time, I had grown-out hi-lights in my hair, and it was still OK.
Just make sure you go to a good salon and TELL THEM that your hair is hi-lighted.  They should be able to tell you if it'll be ok.
Another option for you (depending on the curliness of your hair) is The  Matrix Sleek Look System.  It's a system of Shampoo, Conditioner, Straightening creme (if you need it) and I believe a straghtening iron serum to protect your hair.  I only used the shampoo and conditioner, but after a while of using it, it really did start to straighten my hair slightly.  It also eliminated a lot of the frizz on a daily basis.  (I believe they make a line for coarse hair and one for fine hair...i used the one for fine) 
If you are looking to define curls, Matrix also makes a separate line for curls...it's called Matrix Curl Life.  I've tried both, but I liked the sleek look the best.  You can only get it at Salons or fine beauty suppliers.  You won't see it at Wal-Mart, CVS or anything like that.  I don't know if you've ever heard of Ulta.  Some people here talk about Sally's.  I've never heard of it, but it sounds like it would carry Matrix. (it's a bit more expensive!)
Good Luck!  Keep us updated!
ps - Has anyone ever seen/heard of/used the Matrix COLD Straightening system?  It's a chemical straightening/relaxing system where heat is not used...only the chemicals and it just smooths out waves/curls/frizz to a uniform wave...not completely straight.  Just wondering!
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2005 at 10:59am
Tiramisu, this post is almost a year old and the poster never came back to register. Better to post your questions in a new thread.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic