Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Curly/Frizzy hair solutions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skylark777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylark777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Curly/Frizzy hair solutions?
    Posted: October 23 2004 at 11:30am
So I was going through the "Product Reviews" section of this board but it was locked so I'm going to ask my question here:

1) Sodium Laurel Suldate is supposed to be a harsh cleanser...do you guys know anything about Sodium LAURETH Sulfate? This is in L'Oreal Smooth-Intense Shampoo that I'm using and so far it's beeng pretty good. But I don't want to use any products that will harm my hair rather than protect it.

2) I've been experimenting from shampoo to shampoo for a long time. I'm broke, so I really can't afford the $20 ones, but I've gone from Pantene to Herbal Essences to Frizz Ease and finally L'Oreal. I know going from shampoo to shampoo isn't too great for you hair but do you know any shampoo that works really well on wavey/curly FRIZZY hair?

3) Here's my normal routine in the shower: Shampoo, conditioner, then frizz-ease mousse everytime when I'm done. I'm scared using the mousse every time because I don't want it to weaken my hair so it starts falling out a lot or to the point where I start getting gray strands. What do you guys recommend I use? I'm tired of putting my hair up all the time to hide the frizzyness. I love my curls, but I want it to just be relaxed and tamed.

Yep so that's really much it. I know it's long but I need some advice. Thanks
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2004 at 7:33pm
There is a technique for people with curly hair called conditioner wash. The method is to use conditioner just a shampoo.

Shampoos are ok but they contain chemical which can be drying to the hair. Also, because your hair is curly your natural oils are not traveling down the hair shaft as fast as straight hair and therefor you need to moisture as much as possible. Conditioners have the same ingredients as shampoo but a milder form.

So lets say you wash your hair 5 times a week, instead of using shampoo use conditioner the majority of the time and then shampoo it the 5th wash.

This technique is called the culry girl routin. You can look up more information online about it. Also www.frizzoff.com, www.naturallycurly.com and a few others that you can look up.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

frizzygurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frizzygurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2004 at 11:57am
Sweet is close, there are 2 different curly girl routines. One for wavy hair or oily scalps is what was mentioned but the other is strictly no shampoo, drying alcohols or 'cones whatsoever. This is what i follow and it has been wonderful for my hair and scalp.

Sodium Larueth is the less harsh of sulfates and i used the L'Oreal Smooth Intense 'poo and condish before i went 'poo-less with pretty good results. The full CG routine is "washing" with a conditioner rich in emollients and lacking in 'cones that build-up and drying alcohols.

I use a scalp cleanser made specifically for ones on this routine and condition with Suave Humectant. Some use VO5 Kiwi Lime condish with fair results to "wash" but adding a few drops of Tea Tree Oil makes it amazing. I only use a gel with water-soluble ingredients (Suave Professionals Firm Hold Gel) and my curls look better than ever. Not to mention my hair is growing like crazy and my scalp problems have cleared up!

The site www.naturallycurly.com has some helpful curlies and i would suggest the book "Curly Girl" by Lorraine Masey.

Hope you have great luck!
CO wash only since September '04! Dyed red botticelli curls (3b), fine and just past shoulder length
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 2:24am
I keep the shampoo in my routine beause I got build up from my suave shampoo. I also tried dr.bronners soaps and that irritated my scalp. I don't use shampoo on the regular but it is good for clarifying. I have also tried lemon juice in my conditioner which works well too as a clarifier and others. I never tried the ACV rinse.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

frizzygurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frizzygurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 8:52am
Sweet, i love the ACV rinse; i actually just use regular white vinegar instead and it helped tremendously with dandruff and itchy scap. I never found a "wash" conditioner i was happy with completely so I started using the DevaCurl No 'Poo. I do shampoo with a diluted shampoo when i color my hair to make sure i've rinsed out all color. Anyway, enough rambling. . .. .
CO wash only since September '04! Dyed red botticelli curls (3b), fine and just past shoulder length
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2004 at 6:13am
i tried the acv rinses and loved them. They made my hair very soft. I did mine prior to conditioning washes or shampoos. Another option is on shampoo day, you should rinse with clear water, apply conditioner, rinse, shampoo, rinse, shampoo again if need and then deep condition. Hope this helps. But i basically, condition wash 4x weekly, shampoo/condition 1x weekly and shampoo/deep condition 1x weekly.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic