Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TANGLES & KNOTS in my curly hair! HELP!!!!!1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pekopoko View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pekopoko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TANGLES & KNOTS in my curly hair! HELP!!!!!1
    Posted: November 28 2004 at 5:46pm
Hi! I got a perm about 4 months ago, and about 1 month into my perm, I noticed a bump/knot/tangle at the ends of my hair. I was told not to comb my hair so I just left it. Now it became this huge knot of hair and I don't know what to do! I tried to comb it out but it won't do. I am not sure whether it's a product build-up or sth else, but I am so frustrated now!! Should I just get my hair cut short? But I really love my perm!

THANKSSSSSSSSS for helping!!
dINGdONG View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dINGdONG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2004 at 8:30pm
Have you talked to your stylist?? Maybe if you use a really strong conditioner and try to untangle the knot in the shower... Definetely don't cut it short until you know what's going on!!!!
Good luck!
Jeep Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeep Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2004 at 6:52pm
"I was told not to comb my hair..." Ever? How are you supposed to get the tangles out?

First - don't panic! Get a wide tooth comb and grab a big bottle of conditioner. (If you have time, go to the store and get a bottle of Aussie Knot Forgotten)

Second - jump in the shower and flip your head over, so your hair is hanging down. Wet your head and hair down. Lather in a ton of conditioner. Let it set for a few minutes. Quickly (very quickly) wet your hair again - it kind of "freshens" the conditioner. Starting at the ENDS, not the roots, gently comb thru your hair. Keep dipping your head and combing, adding conditioner as necessary. As far as the knot goes, keep working in the conditioner and from the ENDS end (sounds funny, I know), gently work the comb in small amounts thru the knot. We are not talking ripping through it - gentle, gentle gentle. You can use your fingers to get it apart too.

I do this every day in the shower. I am prone to these horrendous birds nest type tangles right at the base of my neck.

Once I am out of the shower, I spray on some leave-in conditioner, comb it through and then, never comb it again - til the next day in the shower.

Hope this helps!
Jeep Girl
2a-2cFiii 38"
(still trying to figure out how to
merge long hair into the Jeep
lifestyle without looking like a total
dork)
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2004 at 12:28am
I would suggest to let conditioner sit on your head for a while about 5 to 10 mins. Then run your fingers thru it like a comb, THEN after you do that you should comb it with a wide tooth comb.

Or comb it while in the shower but first finger comb it, it will make the combing easier.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Unregistered Guest View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unregistered Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2004 at 12:19am
Wow I dunno why you were told to never brush it... my mom used to get perms and she brushed her hair every day and it was fine, but anyway I am with eveyrone on this one, you must use a lot of conditioner and let is stay in your hair for a few minutes. It always works for me (even though i have naturally curly hair).
SiriusGrrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiriusGrrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 7:55pm
Yo.. Yeah i comb it very time i condition my hair in the shower and then right when i get out (with a large tooth comb). Also...when you comb it, start at the ENDS and work your way to the roots. Dont just start combing at the roots. Youll tear your hair out!

...Well thats how i do it, at least.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic