Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cheap way to straighten hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
redhairedgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap way to straighten hair?
    Posted: February 05 2005 at 10:53am
Does any one know of a cheap way of straightening naturally very curly hair? I would love to have a sleek bob, I don't have a lot of cash because I am a student.
My hair has always been really curly and used to be long, I had it cut short a few weeks ago and I would love to grow it out into a bob, but not if it just going to frizz.

I'm new by the way - hi everyone!
jojo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 12:07pm
if u want to save money why don't u do ur hair your self. you can blow drie it straight and if u want a straighter look u can flat iron it. this will save u money because u will be doing it urself instead of going 2 a hair salon
ltp View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2005 at 6:29pm
Coming from someone who also has naturally very curly hair the best and in the long run the cheapest way to straighten your hair is to invest in a ceramic straigthening iron, ~$150 (CDN). Now I know this sounds like a lot but it is so worth it! Before I got this any attempt to straighten my hair with just a blow dryer and regular straightening iron would end up with a kinky, puffy, frizzy mess. Now After I roughly straighten my hair with a blow dryer I go over it with the ceramic and my hair is stick straight, I'm talking Jennifer Aniston, Friends circa season 4 through to 8 (or when ever her hair was really straight). Not only is it really straight but it stays that way even if its gets a little wet and even its humid, and thats without a drop of product! I cannot express how amazing they are, so if you want really straight hair, trust me its the best way to go.
Chikita_Cutie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chikita_Cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 8:38pm
I had the same problem. Well what I did was go out and buy a Conair straightener, very inexpensive by the way. It cost me about $10. But I use Sebastians Potion 9 to keep it from frizzin' out. I can go about my daily life and not have to worry about my lookin' like a poodle. I hope I helped. Oh yeah as all curly haired people hate their curls, there is a book out there it's to like learn how to love your curls. I heard it was really great. I'll update you once I know the title.

Feather
redhairedgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2005 at 1:48pm
Got the straightening iron. Don't know if it's the same as yours but it cost £70 here in the uk. My hair is still pretty short, but I have tried it on the longer bits and it is wonderful. Can't wait until it grows out some more. It's true about people always wanting hair they haven't got, people pay out small fortunes to have curly hair and yet curlyheads want straight hair.
Lesli View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lesli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2005 at 12:30am
I'd suggest a ConAir straightener as well... but make sure you get a ceramic one. Metal ones pull on your hair at the ends and make it "feather out" and get static-y. I have a newer model from ConAir Instant Heat, it's a ceramic with 25 heat settings plus a "turbo" for tough spots, and it comes with little combs you can slip on the ends to detangle or shine. I find that the plastic one helps hold short hairs in the iron better. Mine was about $25... I'm looking into chemical straightening at this point because I'm going to school soon and I doubt I'll have time to straighten every day, but I don't know to what extent relaxing straightens your hair... who knows if mine will go from its current state to sleek, gorgeous hair or just my curls to puffy frizz.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic