Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to make my hair look pretty?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ToXiC KiSsEs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToXiC KiSsEs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to make my hair look pretty?
    Posted: February 18 2005 at 1:13pm
I have really curly hair that is just unmanageable. Its poofy and fizzy and nothing helps! I think ive tried almost everything. I heard that Paul Mitchell's super skinny serum works really well. Heres a couple questions:

1. Should a curly hair'd person use a brush?

I heard that they shouldnt but I dont understand why...wouldnt you get like dreads?

2. How many times should I deep condition a week?

3. What is the best hair cut for some one with tight spiral riglet hair?

I think that if I get layers that I would have "shelves" and that would just look funny. I know that I should get like gradual layers that slightly go down so I can avoid them but im not sure how to explain that to my hair stylist.

4. What are the best products for curly hair'd girls to use?

If you could answer all or some of those questions that would be great! Thanks in advance!
¸,¡|IvI|¡,¸
''i|¡||¡|i''
Pepsialltheway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pepsialltheway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2005 at 9:59pm
Every person has to brush their hair. When you have curly hair you should only brush it when wet and then let it curl naturally or else the curls end up turning into a pouff ball.
»¦«i DoNt ThiNk u UnDeRsTaNd»¦«
»¦«HoW HaRd iT iS 2 TaLk 2 u JuSt
As FriEnDs »¦«
»¦«i wAnNa TeLL u i LuV u BuT i
nEvEr cAn»¦«
Pepsialltheway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pepsialltheway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2005 at 10:01pm
Every person has to brush their hair. When you have curly hair you should only brush it when wet and then let it curl naturally or else the curls end up turning into a pouff ball.

As for me I deep condition at LEAST once a week.

As for the hair cut, that's for your preference but I recommend getting long layers because it helps define the curls more.
»¦«i DoNt ThiNk u UnDeRsTaNd»¦«
»¦«HoW HaRd iT iS 2 TaLk 2 u JuSt
As FriEnDs »¦«
»¦«i wAnNa TeLL u i LuV u BuT i
nEvEr cAn»¦«
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2005 at 8:38am
Originally posted by ToXiC KiSsEs ToXiC KiSsEs wrote:

I heard that they shouldnt but I dont understand why...wouldnt you get like dreads?

Lots of curly girls use a wide-tooth comb or finger-brush only.

Quote . How many times should I deep condition a week?

As often as you need to, but once is probably enough if you're using the right product. I suggest natural oils, like coconut, cocoa butter, and jojoba.

Quote . What is the best hair cut for some one with tight spiral riglet hair?

I think that if I get layers that I would have "shelves" and that would just look funny. I know that I should get like gradual layers that slightly go down so I can avoid them but im not sure how to explain that to my hair stylist.

I think layers make curly hair look damaged and poofier, while chin-length or longer with minimal shaping will display your curls in their glory.

Quote . What are the best products for curly hair'd girls to use?

Try this website: http://naturallycurly2.com/home/index.php

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
malishka31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malishka31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 11:14am
i agree with what others said, only brush when wet, (using awide tooth comb). if you brush you disassemble the curl.

Depending on your hair needs and hair health, you may deeop condition once a week or every time you wash.

I personally deep condition every time i wash. always leaving it on for 20+ minutes b/c my hair needs it, and it doesnt hurt since the stuff i use never weighs it down and only makes my hair better every time.

Also, you shouldnt wash curls that often, unless you have oily fine curls. i wash about every 3 days..... (also note that curls are fine, in terms of the individual hair strands but together hair appears thicker, and thus oils and such are not saturating your hair as most of the time one will have lots of hair when it is curly.)

In terms of products, the best i have ever tried are KERASTASE. they are on the expensive side, but worth every penny and give you the type of hair like you stepped out of a salon.
Innamorata594 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Innamorata594 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 3:56pm
no-you do not want to brush your hair while its wet... or you will cause breakage. I have very curly hair as well......Right before you take a shower, while your hair is dry, brush all the curls out with a natural bristle brush..It will glide right through and break up the curls without pulling.Then when you get out, use a wide tooth comb with a detangler. Shampoo every other day at the most, but use a very good quality condtioner everyday...As for deep conditioning--if you have healthy hair, you can do it once a week..If it's damaged- go for twice a week. Layers will not make hair look frizzier if its cut right. The last thing you want is it all one length--which can make it look like a triangle. Just make sure that you do not get it thinned out(ie:razor cutting, slicing,notching, etc.)--make sure you vocalize that with your stylist!!Find a stylists that specializes in curly hair, and tell her exactly what you said here(gradual layers)..>Show her exactly how short you want the very top layer to be(when dry, as your hair is much longer when wet).An experienced stylist should be able to do it, no prob. For your frizz-- you have to find a good regimen...Try a curling gel- I like Graham Webb's Making Waves..It doesnt make your hair stiff at all, and it really helps diminish the frizz/poof. For a little shine, without weighing your hair down or making it greasy, use Matrix Color.Smart Reflective shine spray. Also-check out www.ouidad.com.... She is a curl expert and you can get a lot of good info from the site.
Sara
hondurancurly View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hondurancurly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 1:37pm
i have to say dont ever use a brush it doesnt matter it its wet or dry you should deep condition once a week because over conditioning will make your hair really frizzy also to eKatherin from your pic under you name i see you have fairly straight hair and i think you dont really understand the woes of curly hair long layers make curly hair look good and short to about the chin cuts make really curly hair puffy and underfined also paul mitcheal has good products but the serum it not good for curk-ly hair i think you shoukd go to naturallycurly.com it will help you with your hair really reallly reallly much
rosebud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosebud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 10:13pm
although your hair stretches when its wet which can hurt it. Its always BEST to comb when you have conditioner on in the shower. The conditioner helps make it smooth. Dont comb after you come out even if its damp You will reck the curls, i've tried.
justblonde1390 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justblonde1390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2005 at 1:43pm

no finger comb ur hair when its wat(brushing makes it frizz)
2. How many times should I deep condition a week?condition every time u watch your hair but buy an epensive deeop conditioner and u that once a week
3. What is the best hair cut for some one with tight spiral riglet hair?
keep it long with long or no layers.(the laenght in the pics is good)
4. What are the best products for curly hair'd girls to use?

use john freidas freaze ease and curling products they work well and a lite gel like Aussie duel personalities gel+water

hope it helps

Megan

Music=Love

You Are My Music
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic