Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I want to go natural. What do I do?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kiana View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I want to go natural. What do I do?
    Posted: May 30 2000 at 9:26pm
I need lots of help! I have shoulder length relaxed hair, but now I want to go natural. The problem is I have no clue where to start. I'd love to have the short twists that i've seen in magazines but I live in Troy, Al and there are no stylists around to show me what to do. Any ideas!
JazzyBroad View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JazzyBroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2000 at 8:32pm
Hi Kiana,
I recently decided to go natural, and had the same problem -- Where to start. Well, I joined the club, Black Hair Super Grow Out a Yahoo.com. If you're not a part of this club yet, JOIN TODAY! It's great! I've been a member for about a week now and man have I've learned so much! OK, but back to your question. I recently posted the same question as you, and this is a response I got from another club member:

"CONGRATULATIONS!!! Another sister gives up the lye! Woo-hoo! :o)

Personally speaking, I think you should wait a few months to get some new growth, then cut off the relaxed hair and start fresh. But I know most women can't handle that drastic a change, and if you are like most women, you'll probably want to grow it out.

If your natural hair is 2a, then the difference between the relaxed and the natural hair shouldn't really be that different. (Should it? Someone with 2a hair -- Jade? -- school me.) The point is to minimize breakage where the different textures meet and to cut off the relaxed hair a little at a time. So anything moisturizing -- shampoos, conditioners, etc. -- is good. I have straight-up Afro hair (4a/4b) so the products I use might be too much for a straighter texture, but again, maybe someone whose hair is closer to yours in type can provide more information.

Good luck!"

JazzyBroad
uptngirlz View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uptngirlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2000 at 10:43am
hi Kiana,
I did this some years ago by braiding the new growth and curling the relaxed ends with end papers and songe curlers at night. I gradually cut off the relaxer. I still always use a silk scarf/pillow case to sleep on. It's been about 7 yr + or - and I mostly wear 2 strand twists wich fall natrurally below the shoulders. When i need a straight fix,
I use the Conair steam flat iron and it gives me silky straight hair that falls to the bra strap. Even the naural hair has swing and bounce. My favorite products are Wanakee's full line. Her hair care advice has been right on.
I also like African pride creme hairdress. (Wanakee has a web site Wanakee.com) Good luck.
Uptngirl
Katlee View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2000 at 11:40pm
You may want to checkk out Nappyhair.com via Yahoo. It will give you alot of good information. I have gone from perm to natural before and I am currently in the processing of going natural again for the last time. You just have to be patient. The hair will break because the perm is past due. Just keep deep conditioning. I am currently wearing braids, but since you have long hair you can work with various styles. Just let it keep growing until you have enough new growth to start your two strand twists or locs. I have worn the 2 strand twists and this time I am going for the locs. Good luck - don't forget to look into Nappy.com for more assistance.
DSTPRL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSTPRL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2001 at 3:30pm
Reply to message: 15.75.1
quote:

Kiana originally wrote:
I need lots of help! I have shoulder length relaxed hair, but now I want to go natural. The problem is I have no clue where to start. I'd love to have the short twists that i've seen in magazines but I live in Troy, Al and there are no stylists around to show me what to do. Any ideas!

Do you have someone who can braid your hair for you while you are in this transition phase? If not, maybe you can trek to Atlanta, GA because I know there are plenty of natural hairstylists there who can get you started. I used braids to transition from a perm to natural and then after 3 to 4 months I simply cut off all of the hair and started with a teeny weeny afro. It was cute.
qadyra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qadyra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2001 at 10:02am
Reply to message: 15.448.1
Get the book let`s talk hair by Pamela Ferrell. She gives four different ways to grow out your hair and have pictures of several different styles and how to accomplish them.
G View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2002 at 8:16am
Hi

In 1996 I shaved all my relaxer off and went bald for a year, my mother accused me of being a lesbian but I loved it. In July 1997 I started to grow it back having decided to stay natural as soon as it was long enough, October 1997, I put it in plaits. I kept it in plaits for a year and then began twisting my hair.

I wash it and condition using a steam cap for 15-20 minutes. After that I towel dry by putting on a towel and leaving it on for 30 minutes, then I put the hair into four bits, moisturise the scalp and put in some KeraCare Silken Seal and blowdry it for a minute - that`s all - to make it a bit straighter.

To twist, select the size you want the twist to be, divide the hair in two and wrap the hair together, my hair always takes at least 2 hours and no more than 3 hours to twist. About twice a year I get my hair trimmed and once a year I put it in plaits to give myself a break.

At night I put on a do wrap and I hardly ever moisturise my hair because I put loads in before I twist it, if I want to give it more shine I put in TCB essentials teatree oil or Designer Touch gloss stuff. I do my hair every week as I sweat a lot in my sleep. I have experimented with aloe vera too and that works a treat with no flaking or stiffness. Overall it takes about 5 hours to do my hair from untwisting to retwisiting.

I hope this helps, if you need any more info please post a message. I live in London and I have not wasted a penny on a hairdressers for years. I always hated my hair but now I kind of like it. Once you get going with the twists you will feel so proud of yourself you will never go back to chemicals. In fact I am getting loced up next week, I will tell all!

G
L.A. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L.A. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2003 at 5:14pm
Hi all! I am on the path to natural hair; I haven't permed in about 4 or 5 months, and I have about a lil' more than 2 inches of new growth. I've been wearing my hair pulled back in buns & up do's since my new growth (slicked back) just looks wavy. I feel as though I want to cut the permed ends off, but I'm not sure about such a drastic change....
Should I wear braids for a while? Should I braid MY hair (8-9 inches long)? Or is it time for the big cut? Once I go natural, I'll wear twists, braids, but might press occasionally if I'd like the straight look. I basically want options. Everyone's adivce has been great, but could you give me some more on what I should do during my transition?

Thanx!!
karonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2003 at 4:29pm
Congratulations! I am going natural as well. I am in my third month of transition. They key is being gentle with both textures. Very gentle.
Cass03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cass03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2003 at 2:27pm
I agree the key is being careful. Ive been natural for some years now it was a struggle at first but i got thre it. Here is as wonderful board that im apart of, is down for maintance right now but it will be back up OCt1, go to www.nappturality.com

good luck
BaldJasmine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2003 at 10:24am
I've been natural for some time. I wear my hair in a super-short afro.
I can't even imagine not wearing my hair natural, what an incredible hassle that would be!Once you go natural you won't go back to the incredible expense and incovienance of processed hair.
Natural hair is just as attractive, easier to wear, and easier on your hair.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic