Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Straightening hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tonii5 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonii5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Straightening hair
    Posted: June 09 2000 at 3:49pm
My aunt lives in a very humid city and since she is allergic to relaxers, she presses her hair. You can imagine what it looks like two days later. Well, recently she tried this all natural product that was suppose to straighten her hair out. It has only taken out the kinks. I was wondering if anyone knows of any product that would be good to use that is natural.

Thanks!
Dirk Evans View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirk Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2000 at 9:42pm
Hi Tonnie-

To my knowledge there is no natural product that does any type of straightening.These product are "popping" up like wild flowers. One must be extremely cautious about these products that make these claims. If you want to use someting to relaxer her hair, just use a conventional relaxer formula--in mild. However, be sure to use some type of fixitive previous to using chemical relaxer.

Dirk Evans
HairCareHotLine
www.haircarehotline.com
uptngirlz View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uptngirlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2000 at 11:33am
Hi Tonii
Pressing,as far as I kmow, is the most 'natural' or least harsh method of straightening hair. Before relaxers became popular, heavier pomades or hair dressings that incorporated beeswax were used to keep the hair from going back so quickly. Also oiling(greasing) the hair and scalp regularly as well as nightly braiding or use of curlers(sponge, bobby pins,spoolies, etc) and wrapping the hair also helps. It takes a little time to do these things but in the long run it's better than refrying with the hot comb and hot curlers every day which by the way also takes time.
Hope this helps. Good luck
Uptngirl
SweetJade View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetJade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2000 at 7:41pm
Hi, about 2 months ago I came across African Wonders via www.blackhaircare.com discussion board (some people there have used her products) & www.naturallycurly.com, and they seem to have some very interesting products.
The owner recently released her Naturalaxer Kit in a Jar which has 4 strengths and promises to NOT relax your hair as straight as chemical/caustic relaxers do. Actually it is more of a (natural) texturizer that lets you have the ability to control it based on the strength of the naturalaxer & your hair's coil count. I'm a very skeptical person, but after reading other message boards (mostly nothing but praises) and reviewing her website/credentials, I'm going to put my faith in her products.
I recently recieved my relaxer in Medium (smells like cake batter), since I have N4/N3 virgin hair, and I plan to put it in on Sunday. If you are interested, I'd be happy to let you know of the results. Oh I almost forgot, the website is www.africanwonders.com and they have a Q&A Board where she personally answers all questions. I hope this helps.

Dee
SHEMARIE View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEMARIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2000 at 4:27am
WELL I DONT KNOW I BOUGHT THE AFRICAN WONDERS PRODUCTS AND I DIDN'T SEE ANY RESULTS AT ALL , HAVE YOU USED ANY OF THEIR OTHER PRODUCTS IN THE PAST IF SO LET ME KNOW HOW THEY WORKED FOR YOU I'D LOVE TO KNOW ALSO WHAT OTHER MESSAGE BOARDS DO YOU KNOW OF THAT DISCUSS BLACK HAIR CARE.

SHEENA
SweetJade View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetJade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2000 at 1:49am
Hi,
I really love my natural hair but I live in El Paso and I feel like I'm stuck here. If I were to go anywhere else, my hair would frizz up soo fast, I would be miserable. Believe me I'm a very weary person too and was afraid to use relaxers again. In fact I stopped using them because they were too drying and damaging to my hair and scalp. So of course I was very skeptical about using this product. However, I've been reading alot of haircare boards for Afro-Americans and a few said the Naturalxer didn't work for them, but most people were really pleased with the results. Also, I've never used African Wonder's products before, but the owner seemed really nice, so I thought I'd give her a try. I was really excited at the prospect, but I've been natural for 2 1/2 years so the thought of something going wrong was starting to give me butterflies. =}
You know how sometimes people rave about a product, only for you to find that, at least for your hair, it was a total disappointment? Well despite that, I went ahead and put it in last night and it definately works!!! In fact, it might have worked a little too well for me. I really wanted to have more curl definition and less frizzy/puffy hair (summer humidity) and it actually ended up making most of it more wavy than anything else. (sniff sniff) =( My hair is naturally N3/N4 (some wavy, some like coily ringlets, & some that's puffy) and so I used the Medium relaxer and left it on for 25-30 min. I think that next time I'll either leave the Medium on for less time or order the Mild so that I can keep more of my curls =)
I have very sensitive scalp so I'm surprised that I could leave it on for so long (tingled slightly halfway through). A regular relaxer would have been burning and off within 15 min. time =/ I followed the process exactly as the instructions stated, but afterwards I used her Reseal Conditioner just to help firm up my hair more. Then I blow dried it using only the Thermo Creme and Wow! Not only weren't there any hairs all over the place, but for once my hair was actually shiny, straight, managable, and presentable just from using a blow drier. My hair wasn't this big dry puff ball anymore (hair hates blow dryers) ;-) However it didn't get my hair as "silky" straight as a pressing comb does, but I'll try wrapping it next weekend and that should fix that (trying to get away from heat).
Oh one more thing, it didn't straighten my hair as much as a relaxer did and my hair wasn't plastered to my head either. I woke up this morning and styled my hair and not only wasn't it limp, but it actually felt stronger!. I even checked my scalp for burns or bald spots and there was none and thankfully still no hairs have fallen out!!!
The owner says that they've improved some of the older formulas and that soon they will release a 100% pure nautral line of hair care products. So I plan on ordering more of her products just to see how the rest of the line works. Unlike what I've heard about the Pre-Treat Shampoo, the Soft Curl Shampoo and the Mositurizing Conditioner were very moisturizing. These were originally only sold in the kit, but you can now order them separetely. The Reseal Conditioner moisturized and made my hair feel stronger/firmer. Also, the 100% natural H20 Thermo Hairdressing must have been what made my hair shiny, because I didn't use the Hair Polish (free with kit, but I don't like using silcones often) when I blow dried. Well I hope this helps, the address for the other boards are at the bottom. Also, I'm curious as to what products you tried and how they worked for your hair?

Thanks,
Dee

P.S. More hair boards:
African Wonders Q&A board:
www.insidetheweb.com/mbs.cgi/mb1002344
African Wonders Website: www.africanwonders.com
Black Hair Care Network: www.blackhaircare.com
NaturallyCurly.com
Goodhair.com
Black Voices hair care board (only if you have AOL)

Cel View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2000 at 5:03am
Hi,

I'd try Paul Brown Straightening Lotion. It's actually a Hawaii based company but their products are available internationally.

Hope it works.
keely View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2002 at 5:20pm
Wildgrowth oil works good pressing the hair, its light and its good to press hair.Dont what ever you do dont get a relaxer, you will be bald
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic