Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BLOW DRYING

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
OLCOW View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLCOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BLOW DRYING
    Posted: February 19 2004 at 2:32am
CAN SOME ONE TELL ME HOW TO BLOW DRY WITHOUT MY HAIR TURNING FRIZZY AND KINKY AT THE ENDS AND BREAKING OFF.... I NEED HELP... I CAN NOT GET MY HAIR TO BLOW STRAIT EVEN THOUGH I HAVE A RELAXER..... WHAT IS THE PROPER TECHNIQUE FOR OUR HAIR?
LovinLife View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LovinLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2004 at 5:38pm
I suggest using a round brush and blowing "out" each peice of hair. Using a smooth serum works well, and so does a flat iron at the ends for the unruly pieces. I hope this helps.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2004 at 12:24am
well i have the same problem...first i let my hair air dry so it will not take long to blow dry than i section the hair and put pink lotion from the root to the ends than blow dry on low for a bit and then high heat for a less time than the low heat and it so when u curl it it will look, feel and behave like you j ust came out of the salon...

Let me know how it went ok!!!
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

paishens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paishens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2004 at 6:19pm
A good tip for your ends. Always oil your ends first apply a little oil close to roots dont directly apply oil to scalp, you could end up with pimples. Your scalp is like a sponge it will absorb the oil from your hair. When I blow dry my hair I hold on to ends with one hand and run the dryer ( with the comb attachment ) from roots and pull out before I get close to the ends. My ends are dry by the time I finish my whole head. I'm not sure how long your hair is but mine is 12in and I used this method when it was only 5-6 in long. I hope it helps.
NikkiC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2004 at 8:16pm
Hi. After I shampoo and condition I use a moiturizer on my wet hair, usually Pantene Pro-V for Women of Color oil cream moisturizer. Sometimes I put my hair in a ponytail and let it dry a little before I bowdry my hair. I blowdry my hair using a "Gold-n-Hot" blower dryer with a comb attachment 920 or 30 bucks). It really helps to straighten my ends.
jean32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jean32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2005 at 2:00am
Use a hair product with thermal heat protection that contains silicones[silicones end in the word methicone]which protects hair from heat damage because it seals and smooths hair's cuticle.

Edited by jean32
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2005 at 11:11am
I am horrible at it too. I know a lady on makeupalley.com s/n andrea400 that has natural hair and blow dries it straight. she uses a paddle brush.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
AMA View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2005 at 11:00pm
I blow dry my hair starting with the ends and finishing with the roots in 6 sections on the lowest heat setting and if I have time, on the cold setting. When a section of hair is almost dry, I mist it with water and dry it to make it very smooth. A leave-in conditioner and a few drops of oil are a must for my ends. Silicone based products work for me also if I don't over use them. My hair is always wonderfully straight and frizz free. I can't pinpoint one determining factor, if it's my conditioning treatments, the products, my blow dryer or a combination but it works for me so I don't mess too much with it. I hope this helps. Good luck.
sixkiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sixkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 2:29am
hi, I blow dry too- usually. my stylist taught me how to do it like the Dominicans over a decade ago.

you will need one boar bristle round brush. maybe 2-2 1/2" round. one large clip to hold hair up and out of the way. i use a bit of leave in conditioner, and a large squirt of mousse and comb through. then section hair off starting at the back (or sides so u can see if this is all new to you). and take a small section of hair- the thicker your hair or the curlier the smaller the section u should start with.

practice "rolling" the brush through the section of hair (pin up remaing hair to keep it moist and out of the way). so u want to use the brush to get a tight grip on the hair close to the scalp with the length of the hairhanging off the brush. that's why boar bristle is best it has a good grip on the hair versus a wide tooth comb. so u will need to practice, but the idea is to be able to hold the brush on the hair with one hand and hold the dryer with the other hand. as hair dries close to scalp move brush further down length of hair and roll brush through hair as it is nearly dry being sure to keep the ends rolled around the brush so they turn out smooth.

dry one section at a time being sure it is completly dry before moving to next section- if not it may cause more damage be heating hair, having it cool the heating it again 5 mins later when u discover it is still damp.

this technique takes practice and u may want to play with ur already dry hair before attempting it while wet. it is also so much easier to have someone show u. but the brush and the blow dryer make all the difference in the world! don't skimp on the purchase of either.

u will reap the benifits of a good ion dryer or ion & ceramic dryer- less damaging. a good quality round boar brush is almost priceless. both are worth their weight in gold and will serve u many years to come.
when all is said and done it takes me 20 mins to blow dry from start to finish. if i take 30 mins I don't need to curl (3b hair) it afterward and can head right out the door. hope this helps
What would you do if you knew you
could not fail?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic