Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Honey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Honey
    Posted: November 24 2004 at 8:38pm
I guess honey is just not for me. Some time ago, i added honey to my redken all soft condtioner and my hair turned really hard and i had to wash it twice with a clarifying shampoo then with my normal shampoo before it could get back to normal. Today again, i added it to some cholesterol i got and had used with good results. Again, my hair was a hard mess. At first it was dry then as i started adding my leave in...it started turning hard. Having done this before, i calmly got my clarifying and nexxus humectress to undo what the honey mixture had done. Is there anything i can use apart from honey? For moisturising. I ordered jojoba oil and i hope that works though.
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2004 at 7:39am
I've read a lot of women say they've had luck with honey, but I'm mystified. I would have predicted that what you experienced is what was going to happen. Honey is sugar with a little water holding it together, so it's not something you want to stay in your hair.

I've posted on other boards about my care routine. I'm really into conditioners. If you're interested I can email you on this, but since I'm not African American, I won't post it on this board.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2004 at 11:16am
please i would really appreciate it. my email is aisharbello@yahoo.com
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2004 at 7:47pm
Please post it I'm not allowed to give out my email address. But I'd really like to hear about it.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2004 at 3:36pm
Honey has worked for me. I use it now and then but I haven't had a problem with it. Sorry to hear it did not work for you, we have to experiement to see what works and does not work.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2004 at 4:34pm

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2004 at 5:02pm
thanks for the email. i jotting stuff down so i can try the routine
Nymphe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nymphe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2004 at 11:51am
I think honey works best with less expensive conditioners. I use it in the very cheap Suave Naturals and VO5 conditioners and it turns into a humectant; I love it!
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2004 at 3:21pm
i might try it with my VO5 conditioners then. the strawberries and cream smells so good but was terrible on my hair
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2004 at 3:37pm
I know you have tried it and didnt like it but I melted mine with some water. That could also make a difference, I never used it at its natural state.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Nymphe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nymphe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2004 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by cmesweet cmesweet wrote:

I know you have tried it and didnt like it but I melted mine with some water. That could also make a difference, I never used it at its natural state.
I just mix 2/3 conditioner and 1/3 honey in my hand right in the shower. It dissolves well. As my hair gets longer, I may have to premix it in a squeeze bottle to save time. I have also rubbed straight honey on my wet, detangled hair and rinsed it out to help with low puff styling.
Callalily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Callalily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2004 at 11:35pm
Honey did nothing for me.
Guyanese girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guyanese girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2004 at 2:40pm
I used honey twice, mixed 1/2 of honey, with a teaspoon of shampoo and mixed thoroughly with a spoon, then I shampooed my hair, it worked very well, my hair is a lot softer. I am pleased with the result.
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2004 at 8:25pm
I LUV honey in my hair. Yes, it is just sugar, but for some reason it works. I've used it 3 different ways 2 years ago when my hair was extremely damaged from some of the stress I was under.

1.) I'd mix 1 tsp. honey with 2 1/2 tbs. olive oil. I warm it alittle first, then apply it to wet hair just before I wash it. Rinse it out with warm water.

2.) 1 tsp. honey with 1 raw egg mixed. Again this is before a washing and I let this one sit for 15 min. (I don't use this one anymore because one day I tried to wash it out with warm water and the egg began to cook!! My mom still uses this one. SHe loves it!)

3.) 1tsp honey with half of a puree avocado. I leave it in for 1/2 hour and it makes my hair silky smooth.

Of course, this is what works for my hair.
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
C_Dub View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2004 at 9:00am
Make sure that you are using real honey. I almost bought some fake honey one time. Another thing you can use is blackstrap molassess or glycerin. Personally I use honey with my extra virgin olive oil as a preshampoo treatment. That stuff makes my hair so soft and my hair is normally dry.
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2004 at 5:14pm
C_Dub, do you put the honey and EVOO on dry or wet hair?
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
diamondprincess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diamondprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2004 at 7:28am
When I use my honey and EVOO mixture I warm(30-45 sec.) the EVOO in the microwave for a few seconds and then I add the honey that way it won't be real sticky.
hth
DiamondPrincess   

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic