Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What am I doing wrong?!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Helixe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helixe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What am I doing wrong?!?
    Posted: December 10 2004 at 9:49am
Ok, I just really need somebody to tell me about 4 or 5 or more steps to grow hair.... like how often I should trim it (how much), what products I should use, and how long it would probably take... I'm looking for some safe ways to do it since my hair can be fragile....

Random people have told me all kinds of things...I just wanna hear from somebody who actually DOES have or knows somebody with long hair....
"Treat me like ______, and I'll return
the favor...."
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2004 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Helixe Helixe wrote:

Ok, I just really need somebody to tell me about 4 or 5 or more steps to grow hair.... like how often I should trim it (how much), what products I should use, and how long it would probably take... I'm looking for some safe ways to do it since my hair can be fragile....

Random people have told me all kinds of things...I just wanna hear from somebody who actually DOES have or knows somebody with long hair....

CLean your hair, moisturize the hair, wear protive styles to retain length ( braids, buns, 2 strand twists), trim when YOU feel u need too..I prefer to dust the ends. Be PATIENT because it takes patience to grow hair. Hair grows on its own, make sure u have a healthy diet, exercise and drink lots of water, hair needs moisture from the inside.

You have to find the products that work for your hair. That is trial and error but im sure there are people on here that have great recommendations.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2004 at 10:51am
Check out the Long Hair board they are very helpful.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
brown_eyed_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brown_eyed_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2004 at 11:32am
I wear my hair pinned up about 95% of the time. I mostly wear braided up-dos with curls. I also like french rolls although they make me look older than I am (i'm 27). My hair is very thick (and gets very nappified, lol. I get a relaxer every 8 weeks at the salon and have a friend wash it and pin it up again every 2 weeks after that. I don't wory about split ends too much since they aren't exposed. But i still think trims are important. I try to get a trim every 8 to 10 weeks. After it's trimmed, back up it goes. My hair may or may not be bra-strap length. Can't tell since i never wear it down. I just prefer up-dos because they are simple, no fuss, and elegant.
"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

pricelot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pricelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 4:08pm
I have grown my hair thick and long by doing the following:
1. NO brushing of your hair because the brush causes more friction on black hair even when it has been relaxed. All your hair is on that brush
2. Shampoo- Creme of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo (White Bottle, Green Letters, Yellow Top). Sold at WALMART. This is the best shampoo because it DETANGLES and SOFTENS the hair. So you don''t lose all your trying to detangle it after you wash it.
3. Conditioner- Design Essentials Stimulations Super Moisturizing Conditioner. EXCELLENT conditioner because it MOISTURIZERS AND DETANGLES THE HAIR. So when you detangle your hair you WON''T get a lot of hair on your comb. www.designessentials.com
4. Always comb hair GENTLY from the ends up. NEVER from the root down.
5. NO RAT TAIL COMBS or small tooth combs
6. Avoid blow dryers. Get a roller set.
7. Moisturize your ENDS daily with ORGANIC ROOTS STIMULATOR CARROT OIL (Sally''s Beauty Supply).
DO NOT PUT IT ON YOUR SCALP. GREASE DOES NOT MAKE THE HAIR GROW, IT ACTUALLY RETARDS HAIR GROWTH. PUT ON HAIR ENDS ONLY.
8. Wrap your hair up at night with a satin cap (Sally''s Beauty Supply)
Goal: Keep the hair that grows from the root by reducing friction and adding moisture while the hair is wet with good conditioners.
pricelot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pricelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 4:11pm
I have grown my hair thick and long by doing the following:
1. NO brushing of your hair because the brush causes more friction on black hair even when it has been relaxed. All your hair is on that brush
2. Shampoo- Creme of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo (White Bottle, Green Letters, Yellow Top). Sold at WALMART. This is the best shampoo because it DETANGLES and SOFTENS the hair. So you don''t lose all your trying to detangle it after you wash it.
3. Conditioner- Design Essentials Stimulations Super Moisturizing Conditioner. EXCELLENT conditioner because it MOISTURIZERS AND DETANGLES THE HAIR. So when you detangle your hair you WON''T get a lot of hair on your comb. www.designessentials.com
4. Always comb hair GENTLY from the ends up. NEVER from the root down.
5. NO RAT TAIL COMBS or small tooth combs
6. Avoid blow dryers. Get a roller set.
7. Moisturize your ENDS daily with ORGANIC ROOTS STIMULATOR CARROT OIL (Sally''s Beauty Supply).
DO NOT PUT IT ON YOUR SCALP. GREASE DOES NOT MAKE THE HAIR GROW, IT ACTUALLY RETARDS HAIR GROWTH. PUT ON HAIR ENDS ONLY.
8. Wrap your hair up at night with a satin cap (Sally''s Beauty Supply)
Goal: Keep the hair that grows from the root by reducing friction and adding moisture while the hair is wet with good conditioners.
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 4:43pm
Your hair probably grows about 1/2" per month. If you trim more than that, your hair will get shorter. If you want your hair to grow, you will have to trim less than that.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic