Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Breakage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breakage
    Posted: January 09 2005 at 4:51pm
I'm glad to here it worked for you Layla! Your Welcome!!
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 1:52pm
I don't have sandwich bags so I used plastic wrap on my towel dried hair. My ends are soft now. Thanks so much.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 11:33am
Layla,

I use just a regular sandwich baggie on my ends. I've never used the it on towel dried hair before, but I know alot of women do use it like that. I guess it depends on what works for you.
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 3:14pm
What type of bag do you use? Can you do this on towel dried hair?
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 11:58pm
Cat,
The baggie method is applying moisturizer and or hair oil ( of your choice) to your ends and covering the ends with a plastic baggie. I do this method overnight and it leaves my ends feeling very moisturized. Some women use this method all the time by applying their moisturizer and putting the hair into a bun under a baggie and then putting a phony pony over it. It works very well. I got the idea from the ladies on the Long Hair Care Forum.
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 7:15pm
thanx everyone i will try those things.

Oh, I'm sorry if I confused you, what I meant was the hairdresser told me I need to put relaxer on my ends. I've never done that before. When i first started relaxing I used to just loosen the curl and then I started making it a lot straighter so the top half of my hair is straighter than the ends. The hairdresser said that this is putting a lot of pressure on my hair and it will break off. I've just been trying to grow my hair out and trim off the curly bits. My mom said that she's going to put some relaxer on my ends, should I tell her not to?

I've never used a protein treatment before, I don't know what brand the hairdresser used.

I use a blow dryer, flat iron, and a curling iron. I don't use them often, maybe once a month. I always use a heat protectant, the hairdresser used hardly any product on my hair and pulled it really hard and said you can hear how coarse your ends are when I brush.

Cat View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 1:48pm
What's the "Baggie method"?
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 1:27am
Hi Layla!
I would suggest pre-treating your hair first with a hot oil treatment or your favorite conditioner before washing. After a shampoo, I'd do a deep conditioner and not use heat at all. Also, try using the baggie method on you ends. It's done wonders for mine. Hope this helps ya bunches!
lueava View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lueava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2005 at 8:21pm
I'm not sure if I'm understanding, but are you saying that you put the relaxer on your ends also. If you do stop immediately because that will break off your ends.

What kind of protein treatment did you use? Maybe you need a stronger one or more moisture in which case you would need to do more deep conditioning treatments.

What kind of heat do you use and how often? If you use the curling iron often with no heat protectant and also on dirty hair that can also break the hair off.

For now I would say try to add moisture and look at your hair regimen to see what you may be doing wrong.
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2005 at 4:41pm
i'd say do a (deep conditioning for 30-45 mins) cholesterol treatment weekly. Daily apply your favorite hair oil or hair butter and massage for 5-10 minutes. Good luck and i hope this helps you.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2005 at 2:36pm
I went to a new hairdresser on my neverending hunt for the right one. I felt that she was very rough with my fragile hair and caused a lot of breakage. I know that some hairdressers don't like to use a lot of product but she used hardly any so the brush couldn't pull through my hair easily. She said my ends were coarse (I know this because I used to only loosen my curl with the relaxer so my ends are curly and my roots are straight) and I needed to put relaxer on the ends when I relaxed my hair. My whole point in going there was to get my curly ends cut off. When I left the salon my hair felt hard, I think from all the hairspray she used. Today, when I parted my hair where I parted had a bunch of short hairs as if they had been broken off while she was blow drying. I already had breakage but now it's much more and they stick straight up in the air. Also I find that thicker strands are falling out of my hair now, I dont know if that is from the protein treatment. I don't think there is anything wrong with these thick strands I may have had them all along but they never fell out before. What can I do to prevent breakage and patch up the damage this heavy handed hairdresser has caused?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic