Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP MEEE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
IRIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP MEEE
    Posted: February 20 2003 at 8:49pm
I just moved to Chicago a few months ago and need to find a hair stylist, mostly to dye my hair and an occasional trim. I'm going for a really natural look to just cover grey hairs. I have always dyed my hair at home but I'm sick of the unnatural tints, for example the dark brown hair dye that I buy has a slight purple tint to it. Any suggestions? Also why do most store bought hair dyes have odd slight tints? How does the hair dye at a salon differ from store bought? I'm looking for a reasonably priced salon.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2003 at 4:10pm
Hi,

Store dyes for home use and salon dyes are very similar in chemical composition. However, the difference is in the skill set that the haircolorist or stylist brings to the mixing and timing, filling and developing of the product lines. Although all the professional salon hair color lines are similar, they are also different in some respects with Goldwell being different than Matrix which is different from Aveda. The stylist or the colorist...in the best case scenario...receives training in how to select the right colors for the client's hair based on their natural color base and the condition of their hair.

I guess you can use paint as an example. A professional artist will often use the same paints as a hobby painter but it is in the mixing and the training and the application that the results are dramatically different.

Why not go to Haircolorist.com and check out the Chicago area. Call and get a quote on the cost for hair coloring for your gray hair. If the cost seems too high at one place, call around. Some salons will do discounted "lab" nights where the apprentices do the color supervised by an expert. However, the customers can get a break on the treatments.

Mario Tricocci is in Chicago and they are well-known for their exceptional across the board hair work. I don't know if their prices would work for you but it is another place you can check out.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Karen Shelton
shelton@hairboutique.com
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Veronica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2003 at 6:00pm
I used to live in Chicago and Mario Tricocci is wonderful. If they are in your price range check them out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic