Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Substitue Recipes (Veggies For Meat)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Substitue Recipes (Veggies For Meat)
    Posted: May 22 2003 at 10:04pm
Hi all,

I struggle constantly with my food mainly because I am so finicky that there is little I like to eat except of course ALL the bad stuff in the C food groups (chocolate, chips, candy, cakes LOL). However, I do try on a regular basis to eat healthy. I have had the best luck long term on the Fat Flush plan but it means lots of cooking and I don't have time to sleep let alone cook. But I try.

Basic Veggie Chili Recipe w/ Mixed Beans

Anyway, here is a very good basic chili recipe made with mixed beans so it is lower in fat, more healthy and can be used as a base recipe that can spin off to sloppy joes or veggie tacos.

Makes 4-6 Servings

2 tsp chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
1 tsp ground cumin seed
1/2 tsp ground coriander
2 large green peppers cut into 1/2" chunks (smaller if you prefer)
1 pkg of frogen vegetable protein crumbles from the Health Food Store
2 cans (14.5 oz each) no salt, diced tomatoes
1 can (15.5 oz) of black beans
1 can (15.5 oz) of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed.

In a large saucepan coated with a no-stick spray cook the chopped chipoltle peppers in the adobo sause, cround cumin seed and ground coriander, stirring for 2 minutes. Add large green pepper chunks and cook until soft and tender. Mix frozen vegetable protein crumbles, diced tomatoes, drained and rinse black beand and garbanzo beans and bring to a boil. Redue heat to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes, stirring frequently until tender.

Calories per serving: 250 per
Protein: 21-22 grams
Carbs: 43 grams
Fat: 1 gram
Fiber: 12 grams
Chol: 0 mg
Sodium: 939 mg

Cumin seed is supposed to be very good for the immune system.

Let me know if you like it....if you try it.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2003 at 1:14am
That does sound good Karen.
... Might have to try that. Thanks for the recipe!
tina
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2003 at 10:02am
Hi Tina,

Welcome to the board.

Thanks for the feedback. If you make it please let us know what you think or how it might be improved. As I mentioned above I love the "C" food groups but I do love beans and this recipe is good. You can play with it and add onions (either white or scallions) and other spices. Which is nice.

I also love ajuki (spelling?) bean recipes. If anyone has some good ones?

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Giles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2003 at 5:27pm
Hi Karen,

ajuki is often spelled aduki, azuki or adjuki as well (since you asked).

My favorite recipe is to just soak overnight and then cook till soft and eat them as is or on bread of some kind like a spread.

Giles
Giles
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic