Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Giving up on high heels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Giving up on high heels
    Posted: August 10 2003 at 8:27pm
Last weekend my significant other Kathy and myself went out and I got all dressed up including wearing a pair of my high heels.

I love the way I look in high heels but it occurred to me just how uncomfortable high heels are to wear.

I don't need to wear them at work, at play, when going out on the town, or for any other reason.

My ex-husband doesn't need to wear a necktie at work and he has given up wearing ties. He finds them uneccesary and uncomfortable.

I feel the same way about high heels. I am beginning to think I should give up wearing high heels. They are not comfortable, they are not good for your feet I am sure, and I dress plenty feminine enough and look feminine enough where I don't think I need to wear high heels to make myself look feminine on ANY occasion.

Has anyone else come to this conclusion and decided to no longer wear high heels?

And if you have decided to give up wearing them, have you stuck to it, or did you go back to wearing high heels again because of social pressure or whatever?
tina
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2003 at 9:32pm
Heh, that's funny. I was just resolving to wear nothing but heels to work anymore. They just make you look so more stunning and "look at me!" I need a promotion (a full time contract would be nice) so I need to look like I mean business.

I don't wear uncomfortable heels. I have pair of Aerosoles 'Dollyanna' sandals that I have worn 3 days a week all summer! What will I do when cold weather comes???
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2003 at 9:38pm
Well SG, I wore heels last night. So much for my pledge to quit wearing heels!
I still don't plan on wearing heels often.
But you are right, they can look classy.
I'm glad you like them.
tina
cait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2003 at 7:06pm
It's ridiculous that we should love heels, given that they cause us so much pain, but we really do, don't we?!

Cait x
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2003 at 3:20pm
I said somewhere else on here that I can't wear heels. *SOB*

My funny left-handedness means that my feet tilt inwards. I can wear chunky heels, but i don't go higher than two inches. It's so funny when my friends who can't walk in heels fall over in public.
One of my friends fell literally on her face at school on Thursday infront of about 300 people. It was so funny.

Why risk putting yourselves through this embarassment?! I'm with you Tina, I'm staying with flats! Mostly.
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
BaldJasmine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2003 at 7:36pm
I agree with you Tina and the others when you mention the comfort factor and hugh heels. High heels are definetely not the most comfortable shoes.
I have to agree with SuperGrover though about class, style and professionalism. High heels add a little extra something.
I like wearing heels myself for the same reasons that I like wearing dresses, mascara, or earrings. I feel feminine in heels and I think I look good wearing them.
I am a relationship advisor and I sometimes wear heels at work with a pantsuit or a dress.
When I am out with my husband I wear heels if we are going somewhere nice.
I don't overwear heels to the point of hurting my feet but they are nice to wear sometimes.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2003 at 9:15pm
I love wearing heels and I think I look 100% better in them, no matter what the outfit (well, except maybe for shorts). But, they are terribly uncomfortable. I don't have to go anywhere during the day anymore so I don't have to wear them much but when I go anywhere business/professional the heels come out. Down here in Florida they are usually sandals but I just bought a new pair of pumps to wear to Ohio next week. Hope they won't kill me. I'll have my flip flops stashed so that I won't die walking through the airport. I generally even wear platform flip flops though. Even though I am tall (5'9") there is something about the height that shoes give me that I just am adicted to.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Jenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2003 at 3:05am
I love to wear high heeled sandals and black strappy shoes when going out, but I know it's a really dumb idea when I'm going to be walking or dancing a lot. I make that mistake all the time, because I only think about how nice they look and forget how painful they will be later on. My boyfriend loves them, but then again he compliments some of my sneakers too. He is only a couple inches taller than me, and since I don't like being taller that's another excuse not to wear them.
gunnie71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunnie71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 1:30pm

I'm  on the fence about high heels. I have at least one pair. But I'm usually casual, sporty too.

Enough said!

Katie ;)
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 3:38am
I'm just not very good at walking in heels, and they hurt my feet, so I try to avoid wearing them whenever possible.
More awesome than a manatee!
Shyanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shyanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 4:45am

I rather spend a bit too much money for super comfy high heel I can run(fast)& dance in.

Even when they're 4inch heels!

I add padding, and check that it's comfortable& stable from the first time. Otherwise, it goes back on the shelf, baby.

And, I...I've got nothing to offer you, no no, just this heart deep and true, which you say you don't need...Know in your soul, please...For haven't you me, with you now? And I love you, I love you...
strawberryfine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberryfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 1:14am
Originally posted by Shyanne Shyanne wrote:

I rather spend a bit too much money for super comfy high heel I can run(fast)& dance in.

Even when they're 4inch heels!

I add padding, and check that it's comfortable& stable from the first time. Otherwise, it goes back on the shelf, baby.

I would love some recommendations for more comfy heels at any price; name brands, styles.  Any info would be much appreciated.  Also, what does everyone here wear with dresses? I've got clogs, mules and ballet flats and one pair of low heel pumps which are too big and worn out- I am wanting to wear more dresses and skirts and I've always been a "jeans girl"...
What to do, what to do?!

TIA,
strawberryfine
strawberryfine
2aFii
12/25.5"/terminal length after reaching "small of my back length"
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 12:17pm
they can be uncomfy im with u on that i wore some the other day that tore in to the back of my heel and pelled the skin off! Not only that they give me spider veins so now i only wear heels occasionally:(  I suggest you look into flats there cute and in style this season.

Edited by babycheeks24 - September 12 2006 at 12:18pm
Babycheeks
mojojojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojojojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2006 at 6:21am
I'm a sneakers gal myself. But I when the outfit calls for it I'll wear heels. The only thing that keeps me sane and relatively comfortable in heels are Tip Toes. They help cushion the balls of my feet, so it doesn't feel like I'm walking on pebbles.
Carolredskirt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolredskirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 4:08pm
I don't wear high heels that often, but I love wearing them when I am dressing sexy, with a beautiful dress or skirt and blouse, with nylons and high heels. Most women I know like to get dressed up and wear high heels.
strawberryfine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberryfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by mojojojo mojojojo wrote:

I'm a sneakers gal myself. But I when the outfit calls for it I'll wear heels. The only thing that keeps me sane and relatively comfortable in heels are Tip Toes. They help cushion the balls of my feet, so it doesn't feel like I'm walking on pebbles.

What are Tip Toes?

Babycheeks; I think I'm in agreement with you.  Flats are cute and in style now.  I have one pair of low heels that I wear very rarely.  They are not too uncomfortable if I don't have to walk too far.

Thanks for the replies, girls!

SF
strawberryfine
2aFii
12/25.5"/terminal length after reaching "small of my back length"
mojojojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojojojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2006 at 1:05am
Tip Toes are cushions for the balls of your feet that stick to the bottom of the insides of your shoes. They pad your feet and keep them from sliding forward. Here's a link to a picture:

Oliva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 1:32am
 If I am not exercising I am almost always wearing heels often high. They make every outfit look better and they make me feel sexyTongue. A necktie does not make my husband feel sexy. I love wearing dresses and skirts more than slacks and jeans which really look better in heels.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic