Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Straight hair in Humidity?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brenna View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Straight hair in Humidity?
    Posted: August 11 2003 at 8:03pm
I'm caucasian, with naturally wavy hair. I blow dry my hair straight everyday, but living in FL, I only need to be outside for 5 min, before the humidity ruins my hair. It becomes wavy and frizzy! Are there any relaxers or home straightening kits you can reccommend? I don't know what to try, b/c every product I've seen seemed geared toward African Americans. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Mylissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mylissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2003 at 7:26am
I have similar problems here in TN w/our high humidity. Seems to want to frizz from the ear down on front/side sections (bangs are past chin length). I've recently purchased and gotten excellent results with Kenra Straightening Serum. Be sure to dry in small sections, and dry completely, leave no part damp...top off w/spritz of hairspray before going outdoors. If ya try lemme know how it works for you...so far so good for me..the product has truly been a Godsend!! If you can try to stay away from those chemical straighteners...will only damage your hair, resulting in more frizz!!

Good luck
Mylissa
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2003 at 7:30am
Mylissa is right---avoid chemical treatments unless they are absolutely necessary because they will only exacerbate the frizz. It sounds like we have very similar hair (don't be fooled by my icon pic; I have to really work to get it stick straight like that.) I can get it to look really smooth, shiny and wave-free when the weather is relatively dry, but there are some days when I know it's not worth trying. Namely NOW! Sometimes it's best to just pull your hair back into a slick updo or braid and leave the straightening routine to cool autumn days. Mylissa gives GREAT advice for straightening. I would also suggest trying a shine spray to "polish off" (forgive the pun) your styling. A silicone-only spray will really boost your shine, calm the frizz and make your hair softer. Good luck!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Mylissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mylissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2003 at 2:32pm
Why thank you Lyris (smiles) how very sweet. You're a wealth of information...have learned a lot!! Afterall...twas u dear who turned me on to All Soft ....and that ingredient list?! Soooo handy!!

Thx again

Mylissa
southernbelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southernbelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2003 at 10:02am
When I blow dry my hair.. I'll put an Anti-frizz serum on it.. along with a leave in conditioner. I tilt my head upside down or whatever and blow dry it straight. When I'm done blowdrying it, I'll put my hair in a loose ponytail at my nape.. or whatever it's called and I'll pull out a section of hair from the ponytail and straighten it with a big barrel curling iron. I keep pulling out sections till all of my hair is done. I dunno how this works... but I've noticed my hair don't start curling up or doing any weird things in the humidity when I do this... but it works for me.

*!*Tiffany*!*
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic