Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just an Observation.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just an Observation.
    Posted: October 27 2003 at 7:21am
My Daughter is growing her hair out, so we haven't trimmed it since June.

She has very healthy, medium course, thick, wavy hair and she loves it straight. So this summer she earned a good ceramic iron.

She washes her hair twice a week, using Alterna or Redken products, and she straightens with the Iron twice a week.....Her hair has NO split ends.

This amazes me considering she hasn't had a trim in 4 months.

Before I purchased a Ceramic Iron, I had a class in which the company claimed that because of the Ionic charge in Ceramic Irons they actually help condition the hair. Hmmmm...I wasn't buying it at the time....But I'm starting to see some results.

Some of my Clients have Ceramic Irons, but I haven't asked them what they think on this.

What do some of you think?? Have any of you used a ceramic iron long enough to see results???

Do any of you damp dry with the iron...as you straighten??

CHEERS:

Jenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2003 at 4:09pm
What kind of iron does she have? I have trouble believing ceramic irons are actually good for hair, but I can't say for sure either way. I use one and I do have some split ends, but it's because I'm growing out bleached hair from over a year ago. The rest of my hair feels nice, so maybe they aren't damaging.
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2003 at 6:08pm
Hi Jenna; It's an off brand I think, it wasn't that expensive. $75.00, my cost. It has the letters "Jinn" on it. I just wanted to be sure that it goes up to 200* degrees.

She (my girl) also doesn't have much chemical processing on her hair, I'm sure this is part of the reason it's holding up well. She has a few highlights....thats it.

Do you have course or fine hair? Have you tried damp drying as you straighten? ....The Class said you could do this with ceramic irons....Maybe with your previously bleached ends it's not a great idea.?? Anyway let's try to find out ceramic...negative..positive...ion..good for the hair thing.
Jenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2003 at 10:09pm
Hi Sophie, that's about the same price as my iron (HAI) I got from ebay, so they're probably similar quality. I'm sure your daughter's hair is already in great condition, so you're right that it helps. I only have about 3 inches of damage left and I probably should cut it, but I've wanted long hair for a couple years now and this is the closest I've come to it so far. Also it would be too short to tie back, which I'll probably need in the winter. I use so many conditioners that it doesnt look damaged, but if you inspected it (like I do) you'd know.

That is an interesting suggestion about dampening hair while straightening. Is that what your daughter does? If it was mentioned in a class then I'm sure they wouldn't be making it up. I wonder how that would help the process. I would describe my hair as coarse, if that matters. It's great to talk to an actual hairdresser on this subject, since you seem to know a lot about this.
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2003 at 1:14pm
Hi Jenna; Actually I was a late comer to using a ceramic Iron....Have to blow it straight you know with a boar bristle brush....And I don't chemically straighten hair that often...My clientele is well established and quite northern Michigan "WASPY" if you know what I mean.

I chose not to get into the Bio-Ionic Straightening because of the great time involve....I don't have it. And anyway I don't know if my hands and shoulders would hold up through those long 4 and 5 hour chemical services.

So, in short, I'm not that experienced with chemical straightening services. Which would explain why I'm hardly ever on the straightening threads.

Hair color is my thing.....All hair color, cutting, perming and styling.

The damp drying (not wet!) thing was mentioned as an option...I think more for speed than anything. I don't necessarily think it's preferred....especially on delicate hair

Cheer's
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic