Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Achieving straight hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Qwer Ty View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qwer Ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Achieving straight hair
    Posted: April 04 2004 at 1:23pm
Hi,

I am a 19 year-old male and I would like to grow my hair longer but am dissatisfied with the fact that it is naturally curly. It is currently about 3.5 inches long and already I have a really hard time avoiding the "afro" look. I intend on letting it grow longer but am afraid that all that is going to happen is that it is going to obtain a lot of volume going up and therefore not fall down as much as I'd like.

I have recently been looking for information on hair straightening methods, with a focus on a) how long they last, b) how much they cost, and c) how safe they are. I am sure I don't want to rely on a straightening technique that will require something be done every day, or maybe even more than twice a year. The Japanese straightening, on the other hand, is too expensive. Therefore, I am interested in the other straightening techniques with the chemicals and would like to know what options I have in that department.

I really don't like curly hair, so I would rather either have it short or long and straight. I was previously spending a good deal of money on regular haircuts ($25 about 6 times per year) so if I could find an option costing under $150 per year it wouldn't be much of a financial adjustment.

Also, a question about the risks involved in the process. Since, when successful, straightening only affects hair you currently have, are mistakes limited to existing hair as well? If something goes wrong and breakage occurs, will the new hair grow in healthy later? If this is the case I feel that the risk is lessened if I am considering having it cut short anyway.

Also, it might be important to note that I am caucasian, so please let me know based on what would be most efficient with my hair. I understand that you can't straighten already-treated hair, so it is important to me that the process be one that does not result in the hair eventually reverting back to its curly state (as far as the existing hair is concerned).

I understand that curly hair is weaker by nature and I have many concerns about this procedeure. But I have a strong desire for straighter hair. Please advise.

Thanks
Smw0919 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smw0919 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2004 at 4:29pm
I think men with curly hair are sexy. Just keep in mind if you start staightening your hair, the only way to remove the staightening is by cutting it off. You might try some gel to keep it for becoming frizzed out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic